DNS not working properly (code W802)

robbe58robbe58 Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
edited July 25 in Fing Desktop discussions
Hello, my internet connection works but I constantly get a warning in Fing about DNS resolution.
When I do a ping towards my DNS servers no errors appear.
I also use a VPN connection to go online.
All other internet-related tools and progs are doing OK also.
(Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega, OneDrive, Plex Media Server, QNAP, Drobo, Goodsync, etc)

What should cause this problem? Can anyone help me out?
Is there something wrong in my configuration (network, registry, settings,...)

I already want to thank everybody who makes an effort to give me a solution or tip(s) about this.

Regards,
Rudi, Belgium

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @robbe58
    Are you using any VPN while you receive this error? Can you disable the VPN and then refresh the scan if the error appears? Also, you can try to use this link to flush the DNS and then manually refresh the scan to check again: https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-reset-the-dns-resolver-cache-using-ipconfig

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • robbe58robbe58 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin,
    First of all. When I use a VPN I can go online without any problem.
    My updates, download, internet tools,... All those things are working fine with or without using a VPN.
    It is just this annoying notification error code (W802) that I like to know where this comes from.

When I disconnect the VPN then after a refresh there is no 'error' notification.
    Everything on the Home page of Fing is green (after a refresh), as it should be.
    All underneath commands I already tried out and executed.
    ipconfig/ flushdns --> ipconfig/ registerdns
    As you suggested I also executed the Powershell command Clear-DnsClientCache
    I already changed the (DHCP) IP addresses of my provider to the DNS servers of Google.
    I'm not an expert but in my opinion, I think there is a setting problem somewhere in the registry.

Thank you for giving me an answer.
    Hope someone can help me out.

Regards,
    Rudi, Belgium

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @robbe58

The notification you are referring comes when your device was either in sleep mode or the Fing desktop was unable to connect to the internet. When you click on the notification, it takes you to home tab to either re-run the scan or check if there is any error. When you manually scan or refresh the network, then Fing desktop re-runs the network scan and is able to talk to its servers and run the checks identifying everything is working alright.  

The Connectivity alert is only for that particular time when Fing desktop was unable to run checks due to the device was in sleep mode or the internet was disconnected. You can always refresh the scan to make sure if everything is working alright at the current time.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!