What is the value of Digital Fence

JWJJWJ Member Posts: 14
5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
edited August 2019 in Fingbox

Digital Fence sounds like a great feature, but what is the current value and what we're you expecting?

- For me -

Current:

See history of certain people visiting my house, like contractors and cleaners.

Future:

Get an alert if any device is close to my home, for instance when I am on holiday.

Ability to tweak the distance being monitored and set it to real live distance. (front door)

Improved UI for filtering

I would love to hear from you!

GidsterVioletChepilkltaylor

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything to add on this one @kltaylor @Lee_Bo @adam @Ajax

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 253
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, since I have my Fingbox set to automatically block new devices, and I get Ring motion alerts for my cameras, the fence function, to me, serves no purpose.
    VioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    JWJ said:

Digital Fence sounds like a great feature, but what is the current value and what we're you expecting?

- For me -

Current:

See history of certain people visiting my house, like contractors and cleaners.

Future:

Get an alert if any device is close to my home, for instance when I am on holiday.

Ability to tweak the distance being monitored and set it to real live distance. (front door)

Improved UI for filtering

I would love to hear from you!

I love the idea of a digital fence, coupled with app push notifications or SMS would be helpful.  Along the same lines, the ability to manipulate those IP addresses would also be extremely helpful.  Maybe put them into groups, permissions and time limits?

We're actually pushing the limits of what 'Fing' could become, beyond that as we know of it now. 
    I use a geofence configuration on our home security system, where when the last registered person leaves the residence, it sets the home to 'Away' mode and automatically monitors through the sensors. 

In theory, Fing could be extremely useful and be considered more 'niche' with geofencing and manipulation routines.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Could Fing possibly integrate somehow with Ooma Home Security?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • BryceBryce Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭

I love the digital fence. It would be better with instant notifications ( feature request elsewhere) .

However, use wise, I have cameras, if I'm out and an incident happens with good images it will be good to tell the cops whose phones were also in range at the time to help confirm identities.

Btw, it already lets you set the distance being monitored, doesn't it? Just set signal range appropriately.

Regards, Bryce.

VioletChepil
  • ThinkFingThinkFing Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    Some members of the family come back at silly o'clock, being teenagers, and I find it very useful to be able to check they're back home, especially if I'm away. 
    MarcVioletChepil
  • nexusnetnexusnet Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper
    I found digital fence alerts overwhelming and not informative in our situation.

For context, my tech company's office is located on our farm property. We also have a residence on the property. We have an extensive WiFi (14 mesh access points) that serves two businesses as well as residential uses. The tech business also has an SDN lab with separate WiFi. Multiple WiFi hotspots provide more than half of the Internet bandwidth. The area is rural, so interference from neighboring farms/homes is minimal, as is the presence of folks who would notice our WiFi. We have hundreds of devices (sensors, livestock monitors, control devices as well as the usual end-user devices) on the network, 80% of which are wireless.

Consequently false positives were chronic, while true positives just didn't show up because our "physical fence" (being relatively far away from population and passers-by) makes even stumbling across our network less likely than were we in a suburban or urban area. Alerts were multiplied because each network has its own Fingbox. I concluded that my effort was better applied to other aspects of security monitoring (we use Domotz Pro with our multiple Fingboxes) and learning how to use VLANs to partition traffic and reduce attack surface. Net is that I found the digital fence idea intriguing, but it wasn't providing useful warnings or insight because of our location.

For urban/suburban users, however, digital fence seemed like a no-brainer.

One idea that I've not had time to think thru fully involves combining recognition of previously-seen devices with coordination (probably via Domotz) of recognition of the same device by different Fingbox agents over time. Combine that with detection of connection attempts or actual connection vs in-range presence might improve the signal-to-noise ratio on more complex networks... possibly including urban/suburban/office situations.
    VioletChepil
  • magptmagpt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    Indeed I see this more to find if someone is around your network, but not accurate enough to identify if someone is actually inside... its incredible how the "airspace" is getting so crowed...
    VioletChepil
  • YesYes Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    It would also be nice if the app could show some more history details. Now, when i look at the charts i can see that there were a number of new or known devices near the box, but i’m not able to get the details. I have only tried it on the Android app, don’t know if it is possible on the iPhone app.
    Improved UI for filtering might be a solution to above requirement.

Furthermore it would be nice if it would be possible to integrate this info for home-automation purposes from a REST-API so it could be used for announcement of visitors or presence detection of family members etc.
    The answer is Yes! The question is the question?

VioletChepil
  • SargassoSargasso Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thefts, or unauthorised entries are usually performed by people carrying cell-phones. These leave a trace with a time-stamp in the digital fence log. Frequently, especially in  the case of larger thefts, the thief will visit the site for reconnaissance prior to the event or will lurk to observe behavior patterns. They also frequently return to the site for innocent reasons later on, perhaps repeatedly. Again, these will leave log entries. The ability to mine the fence data for such events before and after incidents is very useful for both prevention and pursuit.
    A good way to export fence data is at the top of my wish-list and I really think it would open up many ways of using the data for security and other uses.
    BryceJWJVioletChepilRickT49SkuzzyGLinuxMint
  • JWJJWJ Member Posts: 14
    5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Agree completely. I bought this immediately after a brake-in at home. Also a search feature would be nice and an alarm on a type/brand.

Real life example.

Postal service comes by, closed door, neighbor also not home but he has a parcel storage bin. Parcel completely broken because it was forced into the bin. I want to find when "hand held device" brand comes by and set an alarm. Also other from the same brand are interesting.

VioletChepilSkuzzyG
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @JWJ maybe you can pull out the IDEA request and its value and put in the feature requests new ideas board. I think there is a lot of value in this discussion to leave this discussion on the Fingbox category. 

Community Manager at Fing

SkuzzyG
  • SkuzzyGSkuzzyG Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Hey everyone,
    I am on fing because I am currently doing research on the best way to track this data; and the fingbox seems to be the best solution / cost advantageous approach. 

As @Sargasso @JWJ have stated, this is one of the big areas why digital fences are a huge component to identifying suspects (persons of interest) in criminal activity; and the fact is, this is your home, your personal property that people are coming on to commit this criminal behavior.   However, though I am not trying to be a "scare tactic" person; I'd like to put a little more emphasis on how a digital fence helps if the worst would occur.  

Yes, as previously stated: thefts, burglary, criminal mischief does occur on and is never a positive experience for the victim, and property crimes happen so often.  But, what about the more serious crimes?  Kidnapping, Sexual Assault, Rape, Murder.  How does a digital fence help you?  - Many people use the Ring camera system, or other camera systems to monitor their homes, and that is a great thing and practically needed in today's environment.  But all a camera system does is provide that video / photo evidence.  If it is someone in a black hoodie with a covid mask on, it doesnt help us identify a person of interest.

But, because we are people who want the best overall, we have the ring camera, plus our fingbox.  So not only do we have the camera video footage, but now we have this digital ID.  A digital fingerprint of a device that can be sync'd in time to the video.  So now, we know that a digital device was in our "area" the same time this video is being recorded showing a person entering our home. Once we have that data Law Enforcement can take that digital fingerprint and through subpoenas & search warrants begin to conduct backtracking of user identity, patterns of life, etc. 

Additionally, if you / your neighborhood decide they want to form a neighborhood watch you can inform and teach others about this.  Now, if you have an entire block or small community of houses around you with digital fences / security cameras, you can continue to grow your monitoring range for the patterns of life / routes of travel, etc for the criminal entities coming in and out of your area. 

I hope this helps and brings a little more context in to the discussion.  I'm really looking forward to getting my fingbox now and working with it on my next home purchase. 

Sincerely, 

SkuzzyG