Netmask is not tuned correctly

bg650bg650 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
Photogenic First Comment
I am running Mac beta 0.5.28 (downloaded from other thread). It fixed the issue with 10% checking connectivity but when it finished scanning, it reported 
Network netmask (prefix length) is not tuned correctly
Home network is too wide: 192.168.0.0/23, up to 512 devices
But this is the actual setup of my home network as I have a lot of devices. I would like to make this warning muted as it is technically correct but not a real warning going forward.

Comments

• Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reporting. How many devices do you have?
    The warning is also checking how many devices you have in order to advice if oversized, maybe we can tune it.

Btw mutable/dismissable warnings are coming in the future as well.

Carlo from Fing

• bg650bg650 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
    So I have had issues with the standard 255 device limit with the standard /24 mask. Some of the devices have intermittent connections and tend to consume DHCP provided addresses quickly. My preference is for mutable warnings.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thank you for this feedback and the idea. This idea has been included for the engineering team to review. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • WobbegongWobbegong Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I, too, would like to be able to suppress this warning.  I have well over 100 devices on my network -- there are 155 address reservations defined within my router (that are grouped by device type, with lots of gaps between them to allow for additions), with addresses from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.254.  Consequently, my DHCP address range is 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.254.  So a 23-bit netmask is perfectly reasonable and correct.
  • InfoSec911InfoSec911 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic
    This message is still wrong!!!  I just upgraded to the latest 2.0.0 version.  It is not the general use for many home users, but it is totally valid and used by many networking professionals.  My network is most definitely tuned correctly for my needs and it uses a /23 subnet mask.  It is fine to flag it, but please annotate it correctly!  I have been reporting this since the first version came out and it has been wrong since day 1.
  • MayaMaya Member, Beta Tester Posts: 40
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    You can mute this warning @InfoSec911 if in your case it's intentional. Just click on the (?) and then mute it, it won't bother you again.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I have muted it, but that does not resolve the issue of the incorrect and inaccurate description of the issue.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    2.1.0 still has not resolved this issue and still reports anything other that a 24 bit subnet mask as "not tuned correctly".  This is still an inaccurate message and should be corrected.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    2.1.0 still has not resolved this issue and still reports anything other that a 24 bit subnet mask as "not tuned correctly".  This is still an inaccurate message and should be corrected.
    Thanks for reporting. How many devices do you have?
    The warning is also checking how many devices you have in order to advice if oversized, maybe we can tune it.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!