DNS Resolution is not working

Fig57Fig57 Member Posts: 5
First Comment
I installed a new DSL modem and now I keep getting an error on Fing desktop that says Primary DNS worked, but secondary DNS failed. Does anyone know what this means and how I would fix it?
Tagged:

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,791
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Fig57, in most router configurations, you have at least 2 DNS entries...  A primary and secondary at minimum so in case one fails, the other can still resolve addresses.  Fing is looking at that configuration and it must be seeing that the secondary is not resolving properly.  Do you have access to your router configuration and can you tell us what the secondary is pointing to?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
  • Fig57Fig57 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Hi Marc, thanks for the response. I've been watching my laptop and the issue appears to have resolved itself because the warning no longer appears. It never would show up when I ran Fing on a mobile device, only my laptop and now it's not coming up there anymore either. Thanks again!
    Marc
    First Comment
    And now it appears to be back... the entire error message says:
    DNS resolution is not working: Primary DNS worked, but secondary DNS 205.171.2.26 failed. Test domain apple.com resolved by 192.168.0.1

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Fig57
    It seems like the DNS resolution is not configured correctly on your router. When the Fing desktop run the scan and it identified any unreliable DNS resolution, it warns you. If you configure dns resolution with 8.8.8.8 on your router then I think it will stabilize.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,791
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One small suggestion. If your going to use google as your sole dns provider, use 8.8.8.8 as your primary and 8.8.4.4 as your secondary. That is googled recommended configuration.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
    First Comment
    Thank you both!! I gave that a try and will see what happens.
    First Comment
    I'll give that a try, thank you both.
    Marc
  • MindcrimeMindcrime Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Got the same error on apple.com. Tried ping it. apple.com does not resolve however www.apple.com does.
    Perhaps it's PI-Hole confusing things. I tha=ink I had the same with amazone.com. 
    Is there a way to set the domains Fing uses to check connection/dns resolution? I think I want to switch to domains that will actually resolve always when IP is up and DNS is working. Which is really the cases.