Is there any connection or relationship between "Fing" and "Overlook Fing"

EvoWingEvoWing Member Posts: 4
Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
edited July 24 in Fing Desktop
I have been happily using "Overlook Fing" for many years. I use it on Windows (7 and upwards) as a Command Line program. I wanted to see if MAC addresses could be referenced to System names so searched and down loaded latest Fing Desktop. Versions of Overlook Fing I am using/have used are versions 2.0 and 3.0, so was a little surprised to see version 2.0.0.0 as latest version of Fing Desktop. Are "Fing Desktop" and Overlook Fing related?
Installing Fing 2.0.0.0 Desktop has "killed" Overlook Fing 3.0.  Running it all I get now is "Error, No network interface detected"
I can live with that if Fing 2.0.0.0 worked!...
Fing 2.0.0.0 home page (on my pc named "Omenbase") shows :
  1. Analysing your setup .. 19 checks complete, 9 pending. (been like that for at least 2 hours.
  2. Omenbase Not connected
  3. Your Network  Not connected (it is for sure!)
    "Requires a wireless of wired connection" and "No Internet - internet is not reachable"  clicking on "3 more" link shows Scan a specific network interface where my network card is shown as "*Premium" It also shows my 3 "VirtualBox Host only adapters" which are marked as "Cannot Access" (correctly as VBpx is not currently running).
I am not using and VPNs, and am using Windows 10 Pro 20H2.
Do I have to uninstall Fing 2.0.0.0 to be able to continue using Overlook Fing 3.0 or can you make Fing 2.0.0.0 work properly?

Rod.

Best Answer

• PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited September 26 Accepted Answer
    I think we can conclude that the question posed in this thread has been answered by @Robin, “Overlook Fing” is not in any way related to “Fing” they are different products from different companies. 

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @EvoWing
    I have never heard of Overlook Fing. Are you referring to Fing for mobile device? We now have 3 Fing product offerings: 
    1. Fing Mobile App
    2. Fing Desktop
    3. Fingbox
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • EvoWingEvoWing Member Posts: 4
    Hi @Robin
    No, this is a standalone Command line (dos) program.
    See https://overlook-fing.informer.com/
    It uses some of the same development tools that Fing desktop uses, for example the Boost C++ libraries.
    I also see on your forum references to Overlook,Fing Service in relation to the Fing App.
    Also, after installing Fing Desktop, Overlook Fing it now gives same (or similar) errors - i.e. no network yet network is fully live.
    So it seems to have some commonality. I haven't researched any further to see what the link is.
    Guess I'll try sequentially uninstalling Fing desktop, uninstalling and reinstalling Overlook Fing to see at what point it starts working again .
    Rod.

I meant to attach this snapshot....
    Ho Hum....uninstalling Fing Desktop fixed the problem. Overlook Fing now works again as it should.
    Now have to look for another Fing like program that works  :(