Pausing Not Working

JCDCJCDC Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
Hello. I am on a Spectrum Wave 2 router and the Fing is not pausing/blocking my connected devices. When trying to pause the Fing, the app messages that I need to disable IPv6. I called Spectrum and they said that this is not an option on my router bc that is the default. Any advice here?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• MikeHMikeH Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited March 2020

So was there a Fing update ? For some reason, when I try to manually pause a device, the pause button does light up red for less than one second but then returns to being unpaused. Also, please see the image I’ve attached. The item shows that the device is paused until 12/31/1969!

how do I fix this?

• Wayne5wWayne5w Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Ya pause and resume are broken for me too. Must be a bug in the last update.
    First Comment

I hope I’ve put this in the correct category. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. Anyone else have the same issue? Any solutions?

• Wayne5wWayne5w Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    I did a search for pause and looks like others have same problem. Didn’t see a solution. I hope the company monitors for bug posts.
    First Comment

Anyone else here not able to manually pause a device ?

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,092
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All, thanks for reporting. We did experience an issue with the latest release of the iOS version of the App (affecting the Blocking functionality UI). This may relate to this, can you confirm if you are trying to use this functionality on iOS or Android? Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JCDCJCDC Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

Thanks. iOS. What are the next steps?

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All, 
    We are trying to fix the UI bug for the above mentioned issue. We have opened beta testing for this and if users want to be a part of beta testing, please refer to this article. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JCDCJCDC Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

How will I know when it’s been fixed?

admin
    The fix will be released with new version of Fing App 9.0.0. Please stay tuned for more updates and We have opened beta testing for this and if users want to be a part of beta testing, please refer to this article. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MikeFingMikeFing Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic
    Is there a target release date for the Fing App v9.0.0? I’m in desperate need of the fix to once more allow pausing of iOS 13 devices for my children (iPad’s predominantly). I have had to manually control access via the Block and Unblock device feature as the scheduled Pause stopped working last year. 
    admin
    MikeFing said:
    Is there a target release date for the Fing App v9.0.0? I’m in desperate need of the fix to once more allow pausing of iOS 13 devices for my children (iPad’s predominantly). I have had to manually control access via the Block and Unblock device feature as the scheduled Pause stopped working last year. 
    Can you please let me know about what pause feature are you looking for? We have not changed anything for pause. There was a UI bug on the previous version for Block issue and we fixed that issue with our latest release.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic
    Robin,  I have always made good use of the Scheduled Pause function to prevent internet access during Bed and Homework times for my children (Smart TV's, game consoles, iPhones, etc).  My daughter received an iPad Air (3rd gen) November 2019 running iOS 13 and this will not Pause. I have to manually Block the iPad to kick it off of the network to stop her accessing the internet. I have an iPad Pro (model A1709) myself and this also will not Pause and its internet access can only be interrupted by using the Block feature within Fing. I had read, but perhaps misunderstood, else where in the Fing community pages that there was a known problem with the Pause feature not working with some Apple devices since iOS 13 was released and that a fix was being included with the next release of Fing.  Regards.
    admin
    Thanks for clarification @MikeFing
    As of now, the pause feature has not been changed as it works on the same principle such as ARP spoofing etc. There are some issues with Apple devices and some gaming consoles that pause feature does not work and these limitations are from manufacturer side as they don't allow ARP spoofing to work.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • MustbdougMustbdoug Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Pausing doesn't work for me on my kids PCs anymore either. I've got IPv6 shut off too(running the Synology Router). Seems to work on the iphone 7s though. However, they continue to talk to each other on discord and play whatever Steam game they are playing like it never happened. if it reboot the router, then we're all off whiIe it reboots of course, and then, with Fing paused they can't get "back in". there another way Fing should evolve this so that the same clever Management UI can either Block or Pause?  Right now, it's not getting the job done. I need to be able to block all "user's" devices on schedules as easily as I can pause it seems. Doesn't seem like rocket science since both options are presented on the app today?
    First Comment Photogenic
     Ditto. Pause continues to work for iPhones but not certain Apple or other devices.
    As the Fing Block function does work across all devices that I have encountered Where Pause Does not work, can Fing provide a Schedule function for Blocking devices? I’m now looking at buying a different router to get the job done, ie. one where device connectivity can be scheduled (parental controls).

admin
    Hi All,

The way the Fingbox works is through ARP poisoning and DNS Spoofing.  So what is happening is that when you block a single device, the computer DHCP address and DNS entries gets changed and pointed to the Fingbox.  So this device is blocked from getting to the internet or internal resources. 

For more information on ARP poisoning and DNS Spoofing see the following links: 
    Blocking is done by DNS/Blocking Spoofing. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_blocking 

The Fingbox/App work to pause things by a process called ARP poisoning/Blocking. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing 

Things that need to be done to make sure that it is going to work are as follows: 
    1. Enable UPnP on your router
    2. Disable IPv6 on your router (This is required to make sure that Internet Pause and Blocking works) 
    3. Best Practice - Reserve the IP address of the Fingbox 
    4. Create the following TCP rules and point them to the IP address of the Fingbox 

• 80 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 443 (Fing Service and Software Updates) 

• 3001, 3002, 3003 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 4443 (Fing Service) 

• 5671 (Fing Diagnostics) 

For detail information, check this link and FAQs: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/internet-pause/ 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • REasterREaster Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hi! I'm a new and frustrated fingbox user and I'm hoping someone can help me. I set up my devices and schedules and all that. Through a small miracle, I was able to disable ipv6. But still when the fing app shows devices as red/paused by schedule, those same devices are accessing internet as normal.

A laptop I have is correctly blocked. A Chromebook and a Kindle fire tablet are going full speed.

When I read this post and read all the things I'm supposed to check, without instructions on how, I have to admit I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Can anyone give me some step by step instructions? Thank you!

admin
    Hi @REaster
    Is the block/pause not working for only these tow devices or all devices? I would like to tell you that Chromebook is not supported for Fing App. 

Unfortunately, Chromebooks create a Virtual Network that isolates the device from exploring the real network. That is why when you block a chromebook then it is not blocked as Fing app cant read if it is on same network. At this time, there is no fix for that. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)