Home on Map Showing Wrong Location

GregorySGregoryS Member Posts: 10
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I just happened to notice that the location Fing is showing for my Fingbox's home is not the correct location. I've entered the correct location on the dashboard at https://app.fing.com/app#net:agt={agent-uniqueIdentifier}, but for some reason, when I click on my Fingbox as well as my "Home" network in the map view (https://app.fing.com/app#map:agt={agent-uniqueIdentifier}), it's showing up miles away. Why is this happening?

Answers

• filbertfilbert Member Posts: 10
    First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    edited March 2020
    Find desktop on my Mac seems to see my location as Roehampton, London (see screenshot) but I'm in the depths of Worcestershire, 150 miles away. The Fing  app on my phone has the correct location and Apple Maps on my Mac knows where I am.
    Where does Desktop get the location from?? Can I amend it? - I can't see how...

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 812
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marc @Robin Any ideas about this? I've seen it mentioned before.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @filbert
    Can you try to go to the Connectivity tab and then click scan for devices and then you will be able to see the location part and correct it if it is set incorrectly. Please try and then check if this resolves the issue. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Thanks, I did try that but it didn't help. It does have the correct location when I do the scan but it goes back to Roehampton. It also says Roehampton when it scans and then flips back to the correct location. I assume that it's getting Roehampton from the location assigned to the IP address which seems to be in London (I have a static address from my ISP).
    admin
    Can you confirm if you have the latest version of the Fing Dekstop 1.2.0 and Can you manually assign the correct location from connectivity tab and then run scan for devices and then edit the location and save changes.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    I have 1.2.0. I can edit the location but the behaviour is as described above. I can send screenshots, if that's of any interest.
    I now notice that the 'Home' screen doesn't have the location  or IP info on it if the connection is WiFi but it does for Ethernet - at least, that's my observation from a sample of one WiFi device (Macbook) and two ethernet devices (Mac and Windows). In both the latter cases, it is wrong, despite me editing it on the scan screen
    Thanks for your input
    admin
    Hi @filbert
    We have released a new Fing Desktop version 1.3.1. Can you please upgrade to new version and see if problem persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    edited May 2020
    I'm now on 1.3.2 and I think all the references in Fing Desktop to place are gone, except for the one that shows in the scan. That has Roehampton during the scan but reverts to the correct location (as edited) after it.
    The Speediest part of the FIng app on my iPhone still says Roehampton, though. I've been doing some digging and I think this is related to my IP address, which seems to be associated with somewhere in that area of London. I now realise that I get a similar, wrong, location from other systems such as Amazon and Firefox also thing I'm located there when they trigger 2FA to verify my account.
    Robin
  • GregorySGregoryS Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2020

• GregorySGregoryS Member Posts: 10
    I just happened to notice that the location Fing is showing for my Fingbox's home is not the correct location. I've entered the correct location on the dashboard at https://app.fing.com/app#net:agt={agent-uniqueIdentifier}, but for some reason, when I click on my Fingbox as well as my "Home" network in the map view (https://app.fing.com/app#map:agt={agent-uniqueIdentifier}), it's showing up miles away. Why is this happening?