Fing seems to cause "duplicate IP addresses"

HobbesHobbes Member Posts: 12
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I switched my router to a TP-Link Archer A7 a couple months ago.
It has been working great, until a couple weeks ago.

Now, often, my MacBook Pros will display (paraphrased) "That IP address is already in use by another device ..." And, it's occurred on several other devices, as well.

Once I remove the Fing box from the network, all these devices get their IP addresses correctly.
Note: this only happens with WiFi devices. Ethernet devices do not exhibit this issue.

Has anyone else seen this?
Is there an easy solution that does not require removing the Fing box?

Thanks,
  -- Mark

Answers

• RonBoydRonBoyd Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes. I lost access to my NAS Disk drives and find that I have two devices assigned to 192.168.1.100 and three devices assigned to 192.168.1.118. I, too, would like a solution.
    Hobbes
  • HobbesHobbes Member Posts: 12
    edited July 3

Once you removed the Fing box, did your NAS drives start functioning again?

I'm currently running without my Fing box, and that makes me sad. I’d really like some help resolving this.

One more data point: I noticed, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, that Fing would mark my Alexa as “appear online” and then “go offline” often throughout the day. Even though Alexa was working fine.

I ended up disabling Alexa, which got rid of the notifications ... but that’s not a good permanent solution.

Has my Fing box gone bad?

Does it need a sw/fw update?

• PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 130
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    edited July 5
    Hi @Hobbes just a thought, did you have any static ip addresses set up either on your old router or on the devices themselves? DHCP on your new router will happily allocate IP addresses but if a client device (With a static address previously set) tries to access the network it would cause the problem you described. This may explain the duplicate IP address problem and is worth eliminating from the list of possible causes. This situation would cause problems on your network & in worse case scenarios cause the network or router to crash.
  • RonBoydRonBoyd Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    I am still experimenting. After many different experiments, I ended with unplugging Fling, uninstalling the two NAS devices and setting them back up. I, now, have access to them both. My reluctance to calling the "case solved" is that several times during my troubleshooting I got to this point (different route each time) to have it fail when plugging Fling back in. I am unsure when I will have time to again get back to it but I don't consider the issue solved to my complete satisfaction.
  • HobbesHobbes Member Posts: 12
    @Pixelpopper Thanks for your response. The DHCP server assigns IP addresses in the 192.168.2.100-200 range. Any static IP addresses are in the 192.168.2.10 - 50 range, so there are no duplicates there.
    Also, the problem completely goes away when I unplug the Fing Box. (Which is not the solution I'm hoping for ... )
    Thanks!
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 130
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Hobbes have a look at the thread below, particularly the comments from @robin which may be of help:-
    Robin