When I download and try to install the desktop app on my iMac it thinks the app is damaged

stevebythebaystevebythebay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
10 Comments Photogenic
I get the following pop-up "Fing.app" is damaged and can't be opened.  You should move it to the trash"
How do I confirm this or if it's wrong?
Further checking of the ? in the message says:

"The app has been modified, and its code does not match the original signed code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you think that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript or JavaScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless you override the security settings on your Mac. See Open an app by overriding security settings.

To learn how to protect your Mac from harmful software, see Protect your Mac from malware."

Would appreciate any guidance.
fuzzyhanslov2krz

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,651
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @stevebythebay , did you try to delete the download and re-download a new copy?  You might have an incomplete download which could have caused the message.  I also assuming you clicked on the Link provided by Fing to download?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • stevebythebaystevebythebay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I tried this numerous times over the course of the last 3 months or so.  All had the same result.  So, if nobody else is having a problem installing the software on their Mac then I've a much deeper issue.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve installed over numerous non beta versions of macOS including the latest without that error so I’m stumped. Even worse you’ve had this issue for months I’m sorry to hear.

Might be a good idea to get the Fing folks involved. @Robin or @Ciaran , any ideas on next steps to troubleshoot this?

lov2krz
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Have already raised this with support.  I was successful in installing the same code on an older MacBook Pro and MacMini about an hour ago.  So, it must be something different between these systems and my iMac.  Going through comparison of apps as a first step.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Also examining if there are apps which need their whitelisting updated to allow communication to a fing server for installation to occur.
    lov2krz
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have enabled a non default macOS firewall settings? That would be interesting if it’s the cause. But the damaged message is an odd one. Please let us know what you find. Could be helpful for others if this was the issue.

10 Comments Photogenic
    edited March 14
    Not really anything to do with my macOS firewall from what I can tell.  It just may be some sort of app that's possibly doing the damage.  Had one called LuLu from Objective-See that I thought the culprit.  But even after uninstalling, that didn't fix things.  If I try and launch the actual app outside of the app folder I eventually get asked for my password, and the Fing desktop app launches, but get the following (attached image)

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    That message is usually one where ports are blocked for fing...  EDIT: I read your message again.  Service issue?  One thing to check, can you verify these ports are open from the Mac?

Check this out for needed port..

"Yes, Fingbox is compatible with firewalls. Due to the distributed and resilient design of Fing services, we recommend giving Fing app and Fingbox access to the full Internet. If you want to limit outbound connections and still ensure minimum functionality, make sure to allow Fingbox to reach any IP address on the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 4443, 5671."

10 Comments Photogenic
    edited March 15
    I have but one cable modem in my network.  I have only one Fingbox.  I can run the Fing app from all my IOS devices w/o a problem.  And as I indicated, both of the other two Mac devices can install and run the desktop version of the app.  So, it's not clear to me what, if anything, I would try to change on the one failing platform: my iMac.  Even disabling the macOS firewall has no effect.  Also, verified that both the working and non-working installations are seeing the same port list from the macOS Network Utility.  In my case only one is found to be open, which, as you'd expect, is 80.

So, baffled as to what's going on.  I'll leave it to the support team to figure out what's happening.  Happy to load up any code for tracing or trapping what's happening. 
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Understood...  If you've opened a support ticket, did anyone get back to you from Fing?  The two people I tagged earlier can help you if support has been unresponsive or if you need escalation.  They usually check in the forums on business days so it might take a day or so till they respond.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Yes.  I've sent email with an initial log to support and then got an email from someone named Ciaran Curley telling me to be sure I'm using the most current version, but little else.  I think my "ticket" is 91173.  Nothing since 8:40AM PDST today.
  • fuzzyhansfuzzyhans Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments
    I've been getting the same message with fresh downloads of Fing Desktop for Mac over the past 3 weeks.  I'd been on the beta program, and had no issues, but removed desktop in mid-March to see whether it was the cause of some weird interactions.  Running 10.15.4, using Kaspersky Internet Security 20 ... 829a.b
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin , please see the issue as brought up by @fuzzyhans , also note Kaspersky as a possible variable.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    To solve this, can you try some other browser without any plugins running and then try to download a new Fing Dekstop file?
    For MAC:

Also, I would like to confirm that you Install the Fing Desktop under the 'Applications' folder only. If not, Fing Desktop won't be able to connect to its services. If it is not, it will appear as 'Unidentified' or ‘Undefined.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I was able to finally install the desktop version on one of my Mac systems by booting into safe mode and then following the normal procedure.  Worked without any further issues. 
    RobinMarc
  • lov2krzlov2krz Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I've been having the same issue.  My issue started with fing box not connected to my network.  Yet my iPhone app was working just fine.  I tried at least 8 reboots and got it to scan network.  My first attempt to scan the network resulted in the desktop version of the fing app delivering a blank (white) dialogue box.  I read several posts and deleted the app and all its application support folders several times and preference panes.  Rebooted my iMac 27" OS 10.15.5 downloaded several more times and started to get the damaged dialogue box regardless from new downloads.  Yes, I restarted my iMac every time with the same result.  Have not tried safe mode and will do that next but I'm  not hopeful.  I'm really frustrated.

10 Comments Photogenic
    I forgot to add my screenshots.
    Steven
    10 Comments Photogenic
    BOOOOOOOO, I restarted in safe mode and got the app to install without any issues.  HOWEVER, I'm back to the blank (white) find dialogue box.

• fuzzyhansfuzzyhans Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments
    Been having this for months.  Today, tried 2 times downloading using Chrome 83.0.4103.116 and 1 time using Safari 13.1.1, each time manually installing.   Finally got it to install using Firefox.   MacOS Catalina 10.15.5
    - Turned off Kaspersky Internet Security
    - Rebooted
    - Used Firefox to download and invoke installer (no double-click on .dmg)
    - Installed
    - Turned Kaspersky back on
    Robin
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @fuzzyhans for the update. For those also having issues, if you have an AV product running, could disable while installing to see if it helps?