Max WiFi Performance test speed

TheChallinorTheChallinor Member Posts: 5
First Comment Photogenic
edited June 2020 in Fingbox

Just installed a latest WiFi 6 AX mesh and fing still reporting WiFi performance speeds around 360MBPS.

Done loads of config changes etc & got to thinking what’s the most that Fing tests up-to?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,119
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TheChallinor, please read the below and can you verify the speeds you're getting?  It's from another thread but relevant.
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/18342#Comment_18342

From @Robin

Can you please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/
    That is the partner we use for speed measurement, so if Fing results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
  • TheChallinorTheChallinor Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hey, this is internet speed I’m talking about WiFi / Network performance here
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Understood. Your running Fings WiFi performance tests.

I guess I can ask, is the target also WiFi 6 device. Because a WiFi 6 router will revert to whatever speed a device can support which could be what your seeing.

Also, many of these device rarely reach advertised speed unless they are but a few feet apart and even that’s iffy.

First Comment Photogenic
    Tried everything, running iPhone 11, connected on a 160Mhz band & performance Wi-Fi test never got over 350Mbps.

I downloaded WiFi SweetSpots & was hitting speed almost twice that but Fing with the FingBox seems to cap out at 350Mbps
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if it’s because Fing is only WiFi 5, and that’s as fast as it can go. @Ciaran and @Robin , can you folks answer @TheChallinor question? I’m curious as well...

First Comment Photogenic

To be fair I didn’t think about it like that. I assumed that it just tested amount of data transfer from the fingbox to the device using ethernet.

wi-Fi SweetSpots does a great job of this and it’s just a free app on the App Store.

i’m a big fan of fingbox and was one of the first people to have them in the UK but I’m disappointed by this Wi-Fi performance test.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,695
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    How many mesh access points are present in your network? With three or more than three mesh points on Network, there might be some errors in using Wifi Performance test and you will see less speeds
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic
    Does the same with 1 or 3, just seems like Fing is not up to the job of testing Wi-Fi bandwidth effectively