Child using Turbo VPN to get around Fing

BCUHBCUH Member Posts: 4
First Comment
Within 5 minutes my daughter used Turbo VPN to circumvent the fing system that had paused her wifi.
Any ideas to identify when a VPN is used to get around Fing's notification and control abilities?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    BCUH said:
    Yes, i paused the samsung galaxy s8 and it worked, then she smiled at me and said i have turbo VPN, we use it at school all the time....
    :) killing me, i just spent a $100 bucks on this thing...   I have good humor about it and obviously removing the VPN app from her phone would be a option but i would like to now when/if someone is using a VPN to get onto my wifi network.
    For unknown devices, you can always enable the "Automatic block new devices" and if the device was not connected to internet before then it wont be able to get in. Yes, the block feature may still work. Can you try that and let me know? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for your post @BCUH
    If the device is using a VPN connection, then Fingbox will not be able to identify if the network connection is same which is managed by Fingbox or different as VPN masks the real network. In this case, the device might be able to bypass the restrictions. Have you tried to block the device and then check if it worked?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • BCUHBCUH Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Yes, i paused the samsung galaxy s8 and it worked, then she smiled at me and said i have turbo VPN, we use it at school all the time....
    :) killing me, i just spent a $100 bucks on this thing...   I have good humor about it and obviously removing the VPN app from her phone would be a option but i would like to now when/if someone is using a VPN to get onto my wifi network.
    First Comment
    Just asking a follow up.  Are you saying that blocking her device instead of pausing would possibly work?
    First Comment
    It appears that the "block device" feature works.  Thanks for your help.
    Ciaran