Internet Outages map not working

NP149NP149 Member Posts: 5
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
Hi. I am running Fing 1.4.1 on an older MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2010; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6). The OS and Fing are clean installs on a new drive FWIW. When I access the Outages tab, the screen is blank under RECENT (the interactive map dopes not display). When I click on the LIVE option, the entire app turns white and I need to exit it and restart it to regain control. I'm assuming it needs some add on like Flash or something to display the interactive map. Any ideas? FWIW, the same app works correctly on a different Mac. It is just this older one that it won't run correctly on. 
kltaylor

Best Answer

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @NP149 welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    Is your Mac OS completely updated to its latest version?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,128
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @NP149 , it could be the version of the macOS your using and the version of google maps Fing uses.  I don't have your version of macOS to try and replicate so maybe someone from Fing can confirm.  @Robin or @Ciaran , any ideas on @NP149's issue?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylor
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,128
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @kltaylor he's using an old version of macOS and I think the first angle here is whether Fing Desktops supports the combo he is running.  There have been a number of Google map updates re: Their API that fing was wrestling with.  I think @Robin and @Ciaran have to answer this to eliminate the API as an issue here.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylor
  • NP149NP149 Member Posts: 5

@kltaylor and @Marc Thanks for the answers. To expound a bit... the MacBook used to belong to my daughter who purchased it new. It got her through school, but was showing its age so I replaced it and she gave me the old one to putz with.

I did a clean install of MacOS on the original drive. I subsequently bought a new solid state drive and cloned did a fresh MacOS install on it. That is the system that I installed the Fing Desktop onto and am experiencing the issues with.

The OS version is updated to the latest version that is supported by the hardware and Apple. Other than Fing, I run a couple of utility apps and nothing else. It is strictly a backup/seldom used computer. I was just surprised that Fing could not render the maps on it.

I tried installing Adobe Flash on it the other day thinking maybe that would work but it didn’t help. Are there any other add ons I should try? FWIW this is a spare computer and an answer isn’t critical. I more curious about it than anything.

Marckltaylor
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,702
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @NP149
    Do you have any other device to install the Fing Desktop and check? Also, Can you share the screenshot of the map here? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Hi @Robin I have 3 screenshots I just took on the MacBook. The first one shows the welcome screen on the Outages page as I see it.

The next view happens after I click on the See All button:

The final view is what happens upon returning to the Outages Map screen and switching to the Live View:

I am running Fing Desktop on a newer (Late 2012 running MacOS Catalina v. 10.15.4) iMac and everything works as expected on it. I can access all three pages and the maps are there and the screen does not white out like in the third screenshot.
  • BrinzleeBrinzlee Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2020
    I have a MacBook Pro (2011) and High Sierra (10.13.6) and also have the same issue with the outages map not displaying...Following this thread with interest
    NP149
    admin
    Hi All,
    Can you guys check if you are still facing the issue? I have tried to recreate the same issue but was unable to do so and everything worked fine.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

@robin it is still not working. FWIW I installed flash and Java and there was no change. The maps still look like my prior screenshots.

When I go to the website that Fing uses for the maps they display fine within Safari.

It is only within the Fing desktop app that I am getting the original issues.

I’m at a loss to explain it any better. Thanks.

First Comment Photogenic
    edited June 2020
    Hi @Robin Yes I can confirm still no change here too.....The Outages Map doesn't work on my Mac
    admin
    Hi @NP149 @Brinzlee
    I would advise you to uninstall the Fing Desktop and then install the application again and make sure the Fing desktop is installed under Applications folder only. Please let me know if anything changes.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic
    I've tried that twice....no change
    admin
    Brinzlee said:
    I've tried that twice....no change
    Have you disabled any port by using any firewall or have you installed and enabled the Adobe Flash? As far I can investigate on MacBook air and pro, everything seems to be working fine.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)

@Robin I have not done anything with ports. Adobe flash is installed and works however it makes no difference. With or without flash installed, it does not function correctly. So far on this particular MacBook, everything works as expected except Fing desktop.

First Comment Photogenic
    I installed adobe flash but have removed it...and also have done nothing with any ports
    admin
    I will investigate further on this and I will get back once I have an update. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Chris78664Chris78664 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hello I have 3 Macs (2 with macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and 1 running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6) and only the MacMini running macOS10.13.6 (and can't upgrade OS further then this) seems to have this issue.   Flash and Java are not installed.
    admin
    Thanks @Chris78664
    I will check and update you shortly. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)