Automatic rescanning

AlTyndallAlTyndall Member Posts: 9
Photogenic Founder First Comment
✭✭
How often does the Desktop app perform a scan? I'd love it if it could do a scan every minute or so, or, akin to what the FingBox does, so that it notices at what time devices join/leave the network.
0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Best Answer

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 970
    250 Likes 50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Apologies @AlTyndall, my initial advise was incorrect. I have consulted with our Dev team and they have clarified (I have edited my initial post to avoid any further confusion for any other members). Apologies once again
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Comments

admin
    edited March 4
    Hi @AlTyndall, Fing Desktop Auto scans approx each hour (the auto scan times can not be altered). You can however manually scan when you like. Thanks (EDITED)
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AlTyndallAlTyndall Member Posts: 9
    ✭✭
    If it scans every 5 minutes, then why does "Last Update" sometimes say a number greater than 5 mins. As I write mine says 9 mins... How can the 5 minute Connectivity rescan be enforced without me having to manually rescan every time? A copy and paste of the header line of Connectivity right now:

Context

Devices

16/26

Last update

9m

Network

• AlTyndallAlTyndall Member Posts: 9
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Ciaran. I have the app running on a Win 10 terminal at a remote location, and wondered if I might use it to log when devices join or leave the network, but 1 hourly automatic scans don't give the required resolution. While I know that a FingBox would probably do what I want it to do, I am trying out the desktop app since I had a spare, old PC lying around - seems silly to buy new hardware when I've got perfectly serviceable old stuff that can be used.
    Any chance the automatic scan interval might be user-editable at some point in the future? And an accessible log of device joining/leaving times (rather than only Last Change)?
    Thanks.
    Boston_Cowboy
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the Idea @AlTyndall
    I have made this post into an 'Idea' and I will share the idea with our developers for review. Please make sure to upvote the idea if others also want this idea to be implemented. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Boston_CowboyBoston_Cowboy Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited June 7
    Ciaran said:
    Hi @AlTyndall, Fing Desktop Auto scans approx each hour (the auto scan times can not be altered). You can however manually scan when you like. Thanks (EDITED)

How the heck to you manually scan? I can't find it anywhere in the forum!
    Please ignore! I was on the app, not the desktop.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin

On the home tab you will see a refresh button in blue below see Full Report which will manually scan the network. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 53
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭✭
    I think @AlTyndall is really getting at a feature that is very needed @Ciaran and @Robin and that is scheduling scans, just like any end-point security tool (fancy-talk for "anti-virus").  I would take it one step further and allow for conditional screening.
    e.g. Scan every "x" interval (minutes, hours, days, etc.) and when a certain criteria (e.g. event) then allow for an alternative (probably more frequent) scanning schedule.
    Ciaran
    admin
    Thank you folks for the feedback & suggestions. If you would like to see this feature, please upvote the initial idea for consideration moving forward. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)