Fingbox offline

tmorsetmorse Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
My Fingbox V1 went offline yesterday night and I have tried a few things to get it back online with no success.  I tried power cycling, a new power supply, a new network cable and multiple network connections in my network,  Result is the same. Orange/Red pulsing, Internet unreachable.  The only change that I made to my network was yesterday I disabled ipv6 support on my router, but after I did that I was still able to communicate with Fing.
Thanks for any advice.

Best Answer

• tmorsetmorse Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    I solved the problem by reserving the IP address in my router and rebooting Fing.  I read this solution in another thread.
    Also just another note.  When I first started trouble shooting the problem, I picked up the Fingbox to check the cables and found it had a loud "rattle". A peek inside revealed that the processor heatsink fell off.  It's normal orientation is upside down so gravity is always trying to free the heatsink.  I pressed in back in place and will now leave my Fingbox upside down so gravity will help to keep it there.  Does your Fingbox rattle?
    Robin

Answers

I solved my problem by using this advice I found in another thread:

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to.

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this:

• Open the Fing app and Sign in.

• Tap on the Avatar icon from the bottom tab

• Scroll down and Click on 'App Settings'

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house.

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes.

I reserved the IP address in my router and when I restarted the Fingbox in connected correctly. 

Also just another curious discovery.   When I picked up the Fingbox to check the cables and to power cycle it I notice a loud "rattle" when I moved the case.  A peek inside revealed that the heatsink attached to what I assume is the processor had fallen off.  The normal orientation is upside down so gravity is always at work trying to free the heatsink.  I pressed it back in place and will now leave my Fingbox upside down so that gravity will help keep it there.  Does anyone else have a "rattle"?

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @tmorse
    Thanks for sharing your troubleshooting steps. For rattling, I would suggest not to move Fingbox much as there might be a chance there is something loose which may fall off if moved much.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    I agree, I suspect most users never touch or move their Fingbox since there is no reason to touch it.  Luckily the heatsink falls harmlessly into the bottom of the package but if you rattle too hard or turn it over there is a chance the metal heatsink will make contact with the electronics.  Probably not a good idea!