Certain devices showing as offline when they are clearly online

D_user10D_user10 Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
When I am scanning my network with Fing, several devices are showing as offline.  However, I know they are online because I can ping them, use wake on LAN and using another IP Scanner tool, they show up as active.  For example, my ASUS router and Cisco switch are both active on this network - I am logged into both, but Fing will not recognise them as awake, even after I wake on LAN.  Since this is Fing specific, is there a known bug causing this?  This was not happening when I last was working on my network a month ago, so it is something new.

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,812
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @D_user10
    Are you using a Fingbox? If not, you need to manually refresh the scan and then check if all devices are showing online or not. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • D_user10D_user10 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin, thanks for answering.  I don’t have a Fingbox, just iOS Fing on an iPad Pro with all software on latest revisions.  I did several things: manual refreshes, pings (which got through), WoL, changing from 5 to 2.4 network, re-booting the router and the switch, etc.  It continues to show up as offline as do several other network devices that are clearly online.  I can’t figure it out, but it is not the same picture on the other IP scanner (which I don’t like to use because it is less informative than Fing).  Any other suggestions?  Thanks
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,812
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    D_user10 said:
    Hi Robin, thanks for answering.  I don’t have a Fingbox, just iOS Fing on an iPad Pro with all software on latest revisions.  I did several things: manual refreshes, pings (which got through), WoL, changing from 5 to 2.4 network, re-booting the router and the switch, etc.  It continues to show up as offline as do several other network devices that are clearly online.  I can’t figure it out, but it is not the same picture on the other IP scanner (which I don’t like to use because it is less informative than Fing).  Any other suggestions?  Thanks

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why thedevice might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users. 

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

Also, I would like you to make sure all devices are connected to your network on which the FingApp is currently connected to. If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connectedto the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time andothers will be greyed out. 

With Apple devices, sometimes the location permission seems enabled but it is not exactly enabled which identifies the devices on the network. To be sure, I would suggest to:  

And check if the devices are getting identified or not. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!