Background service CPU usage

PeterPPeterP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 50
25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Fing Desktop discussions
I have noticed a small but annoying issue with the Windows Desktop App.  When I startup my PC in the morning, the Fing background service processes will consume 4% - 5% CPU forever unless I open the GUI. Once I open the GUI, look at the report or recent scan, and then close, the service processes drop back to almost nothing as they should. I realize that these services need to do some work periodically, and I assume this is timer and/or event driven, but most of the time they should be in a "waiting" state and not consuming any CPU. Opening the GUI one time fixes this, but that should not be necessary.  This is a task manager screenshot before opening the GUI.
This after opening then closing the GUI

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 788
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robin This sounds like a bug?

PeterP
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,696
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @PeterP
    Can you please check what happens when you closes the UI (right click on tray icon and ‘Close’)?
    In that case, the whole UI will be closed and only the service will keep running (and doing almost nothing). If GPU and CPU go to 0%, then it’s something to be investigated on UI, if not, it’s on the service side. I have got in touch with our developers and I would like to share that GPU is used seamlessly by our UI framework to render pages and graphics. Thanks again for your post
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • PeterPPeterP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 50
    ✭✭✭
    OK, when I quit the UI as you suggested, CPU drops to 0%, so it doesn't seem to be the service side.
    admin
    PeterP said:
    OK, when I quit the UI as you suggested, CPU drops to 0%, so it doesn't seem to be the service side.
    Thanks for the info. I will take this feedback to our developers for investigation and will update you once I have a reply. It seems like the issue is related to UI. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • PeterPPeterP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 50
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, any update on this issue? I don't see any improvement in the latest versions.
    admin
    PeterP said:
    Hello, any update on this issue? I don't see any improvement in the latest versions.
    We are still working on a way to disable GPU in our fing desktop app. We are trying to figure a way that will not interrupt with WebGL, that is used from both Mapbox and Leaflet, and uses GPU. And for this reason, if we disable the usage of GPU our maps aren't available ( with an error actually ) and then our outages feature is impossible to see. 
    As soon as there is more update on this, I will update here. Thanks.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)