Generic Device with no MAC address

PHD333PHD333 Member Posts: 1

I have 6 devices on my network listed as “generic.” I’ve read a bunch of posts on this.

Heres my question: what device wound have no MAC address available?

i checked using another app and the MAC address came up as 02:00:00:00:00:00 which comes up as “no vendor.”

Any ideas?

Tagged:

Answers

• MeuwsMeuws Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Found this thread with a similar issue, more details about the network and devices in general would help narrow it down a bit, but this at least gives a vague explanation of what may be happening.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,121
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @PHD333

Generic devices are those devices for which Fingwas not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB 

The Fing network scanner sadly cannot show MAC addresses on iOS 11. The reason for this is that Apple has blocked any app from accessing MAC addresses in the ARP table of the iPhone’s Operating System (iOS). Therefore, MAC addresses can no longer be captured during a network scan performed on an iPhone.

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users. 

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,121
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    We have recently launched a brand new offering to our suite of Fing Products; Fing Desktop.Fing Desktop can be considered as a more powered version of the Fing mobile App, with better device recognition capabilities and new functionalities coming. To read more about Fing Desktop, please visit:  Fing Desktop

To download Fing Desktop, click on  Fing Desktop Download link

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!