blue halves flashing

rilaprilap Member Posts: 17
10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
I recently added a wifi xtender to the network.  At first all was ok - solid blue ring but now halves of the appliance alternatively flash.  I followed the advice and tried to aid recognition by selecting the device and entering details.  Still flashing.  What can I do.  I have disconnected the Fing Box and restarted but noithing changes.
kltaylor

Best Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @rilap thanks for asking your question.
    For future readers to this request for help, I am going to link the LED lighting guide page here so that it can easily be referenced.
    Using the guide, the half-blue LED flashing signifies a new device is present on the network and that it needs to be either recognized or blocked.
    You've stated in your question that you've processed through the recognition part of the process but it doesn't appear to have been accepted into Fingbox.
    To be honest I've little 'faith' in WiFi extenders versus a mesh network setup, but I digress.
    This could be an issue where the information processed upon 'recognizing' the device isn't being saved.  I'd like to ask @Robin for his input on this when this situation happens to see how we can process an extender and tell Fingbox that it's OK for it to be present on the network.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Great to hear, let us know when you can!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,110
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @kltaylor for the support. @rilap
     If the devices are accepted under the Fing app then the LED returns back to normal. If not, Can you power off the Fingbox for 30 secs and then power on again to see if anything changes.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • rilaprilap Member Posts: 17
    Thank you both for the assistance.  It appears the FingBox has righted itself..  I shall poke my nose in in the morning and see if it is still registering accepted.  Strange, it took several hours for the flashing to stop.
    Robinkltaylor
    Oh dear - we are back to the alternate blue halves flashing.  I needed to relocate the Extender to gain a better reception and that is now showing full signal, BUT now the FingBox is flashing again .  I disconnected the FingBox and waited 30 secs but it still continues to flash.  I decided to wait it out, but it has been 6 hours now and no sign of it stabilising.
    admin
    rilap said:
    Oh dear - we are back to the alternate blue halves flashing.  I needed to relocate the Extender to gain a better reception and that is now showing full signal, BUT now the FingBox is flashing again .  I disconnected the FingBox and waited 30 secs but it still continues to flash.  I decided to wait it out, but it has been 6 hours now and no sign of it stabilising.
    Are you using Fing app on Apple device or Android device? Do you see any notifications or alert under Fing app which needs attention? Also, Have you added all access points of your network to Fingbox network for monitoring?

You can verify this by checking the MAC address of the Access points(BSSID). 

Please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name)  
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    5. You will be able to see the BSSID.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Well I must have a different setup or application to you.  I do not have a Network Tab - at least I cannot find one.  All I get from the application is a screen showing Home, Notifications, Outages, Community.  In the top menu bar I have nothing except general info that one gets with any open app.  Nowhere I can see allows me to look in depth.  Sorry.
    admin
    Hi @rilap
    Are you using Fing app on Apple device or Android device? Also, which version are you using? We have recently rolled out new Fing app version with complete UI change. The tabs from the previous versions are still available. You need to click on the Fingbox/Network name from the Home tab and then you can see all the tabs.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    I have an Apple Device.  I am using Fing 1.4.1.  My main screen shows Home (my network name)/Notifications/Outages/Community.  If I click on Home I have 2 Tabs - Scan & Insights.  Clicking on Insights  gives me 5 Tabs Score/Brands/Products/OS's/Smart Home   What am I missing?
    admin
    rilap said:
    I have an Apple Device.  I am using Fing 1.4.1.  My main screen shows Home (my network name)/Notifications/Outages/Community.  If I click on Home I have 2 Tabs - Scan & Insights.  Clicking on Insights  gives me 5 Tabs Score/Brands/Products/OS's/Smart Home   What am I missing?
    The version number you mentioned corresponds to the Fing Desktop. Fing Desktop has not yet been integrated with Fingbox. Are you using any Fing app on any mobile device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    kltaylor
    No that is all I have.  I have the FingBox, I have the desktop app on my computer and that is it.  I have never been advised I need more.  If you would be so kind as to outline what else is necessary I will update the system.  Thank you.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,168
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    hi @rilap, as Robin mentions, Fing Desktop (which you seem to be accessing) & Fingbox are completely seperate products. Fingbox cannot be operated via Fing Desktop.  You will need to log into your Fing App account. Please find the following articles that you may find useful in assisting you https://help.fing.com/article-categories/fingbox-101/.
    To confirm, you do have a Fing App account set up with the e-mail address you use for this account. And I can see that there is a Fingbox attached. To see the Fingbox functionality, simply log into that account.
    With regarding the flashing blue lights, that generally means that there is a new device detected on, or trying to get onto your network, see LED light guide for meanings https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/led-light-guide/.
    Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    thank you for that Ciaran.  I shall look at the articles and refer back to you. Appreciate the interest.
    Robin
    OK I have the app and can see to that which Robin was referring.  Lo and behold the flashing has stopped of its own accord. (took about 5 hours) I didn't get notification of any new device being added to the network at the time, but when I examine Devices I see it is listed there.  Really appreciate all the help.