What is your smart home score?

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,102
1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
admin

What is your smart home score?
Discover your device capabilities and available integrations with the most common platforms, as well as the smart score Fing Desktop assigns to your network.

https://bit.ly/3ekT6QC

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
OKC

Answers

• webwolfwebwolf Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Didn't realize this was available, it's a neat overview for sure!

I don't understand the scoring methodology though; I got Medium for protection (it didn't detect my Yale alarm system as protection) and Low for personal but I have a fair amount of devices on the network. It's not an issue, just interested to see what constitutes between low and high?
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    webwolf said:
    Didn't realize this was available, it's a neat overview for sure!

I don't understand the scoring methodology though; I got Medium for protection (it didn't detect my Yale alarm system as protection) and Low for personal but I have a fair amount of devices on the network. It's not an issue, just interested to see what constitutes between low and high?
    Thanks for the feedback. With respect to yale alarm: you can manually recognize it so it’ll be considered in the insights. If the model is missing from fingpedia catalog, you can send a hint for addition.
    Also, With respect to scores, as per subtitle:
    Score network devices by group, compared to others: none, low (below average), medium (in average), high (above average), top. The more devices you have of the same type will be scored as low, medium and high.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    webwolf
  • webwolfwebwolf Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip; submitted the new entry to the fingpedia catalogue!
    RobinCiarankltaylor
  • OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 74
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    I always have to install Fing Desktop every-time I use it. I just deleted it and use the browser version. Am I missing anything?
    kltaylor
  • cryptoknightcryptoknight Upper Southern Peninsula IslandMember Posts: 10
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    The title of this message is, "What is your smart home score?" 
    Unfortunately, the Insights section of the app* doesn't provide such information. To be more specific, it provides answers for device categories of High, Medium, and Low.

IMO the explanation of the scoring should be available within this section of the app.  Especially when 'scoring' things, which invokes the psychology of competition.  For example, the blurb provided above by @Robin (perhaps available with a tooltip or clicking a "?")

* FWIW, the Insights section of the app feels like it has great promise, and the great intentions are obvious. 
    That's the good thing about opinions... they don't have to be backed up with facts.
    kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is 'Short Bus' an option to select?!
    Just askin' =)
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    cryptoknight
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 53
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Neat thing to see.  "Medium" Smart Home score for yours truly, and I think the scoring is ver generous.  I have a Wink Hub 2 (highly recommended - very platform agnostic) and just three smart bulbs.  

A suggestion for the Fing community and support teams:  Please purchase Snagit by TechSmith.  It is simply a fantastic screen-shot annotation tool. I've had it for well more than a decade. It makes helping others soooooooo much easier.

@Ciaran - With respect to the article you linked to by @AriannaRomano, there probably should have been one more screen-shot at the top, which shows where the (Fing) Insights are located.

Here is a my Fing Desktop (macOS), annotated accordingly with Snagit showing where the [ See insights ] button is located. 

Still learning everyday...
    Ciaran
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,102
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Ferlauto, thank you very much for the feedback. And yes, I agree, your screenshot as suggested is definately a good addition. Thanks again
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Ferlauto
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 53
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    @Ciaran You are very welcome.  If 20+ years working in I.T. and for technology companies has taught me anything, it's the old adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words," is one of the most highly undervalued maxims of all time.  :smiley:
    kltaylorCiaran