VPN and fing?

mblanchamblancha Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
With recent updates to the Fing app on Windows 10, it no longer sees any local devices in my home network while my VPN app is active. Why the change?

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 806
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't think when you are using a VPN Fing could scan your local network, essentially you are on a separate network with VPN connected.

Are you saying it previously was working with VPN enabled?

• mblanchamblancha Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

Yes, previously it worked. I don't see why it wouldn't because VPN doesn't block you internally on your network. I can see all devices on the local network.

✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use Windows, my comment was a thought. On Android when you have a VPN enabled you can't connect to devices on the local network.

First Comment Photogenic

From my Android tablets and Android phones I can connect and print on my local printers with the VPN on.

✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

It depends on which VPN you use and how it's setup, it's split tunneling that allows you to connect to your local network while connected to the VPN. If you aren't using split tunneling you can't connect to the LAN.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    mblancha said:

Yes, previously it worked. I don't see why it wouldn't because VPN doesn't block you internally on your network. I can see all devices on the local network.

Can you please let me know which VPN you are using and if possible, share the health check report with me or DM me? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm using SurfShark for my VPN. The Health check shows "All good in your network", but it shows "Your Home Network" as being at the SurfShark server. I really believe it did not do this before.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    mblancha said:
    I'm using SurfShark for my VPN. The Health check shows "All good in your network", but it shows "Your Home Network" as being at the SurfShark server. I really believe it did not do this before.
    I believe as the VPN is enabled, Fing Desktop is identifying the network as VPN name which is providing the network. I believe it is normal unless it produces some errors
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!