Fingbox suddenly went offline

DennisshDennissh Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
edited May 2020 in Fingbox

My Fingbox suddenly went offline and won’t reconnect. It is flashing red. I have hit the reset button, powered off and on, changed the port the Fingbox is connected to, changed the network cable. No effect. Any suggestions?

SD

Answers

• DennisshDennissh Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2020

Update:

I unplugged the Fingbox, held the reset button while plugging back in. Light stayed solid white for a while, then blinking white. Somewhere in there I let go of the reset button. Light occasionally changed to red, green, blue. It has remained solid blue now for several minutes, so looks like issue is resolved.

Only thing out of the ordinary that happened lately is that we had a thunder/lightning storm in which we briefly lost power and internet, but that was couple days ago, and everything came back up normally by itself...

SD

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,053
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the post @Dennissh

As we have investigated the reason for Fingbox going Offline, there are two reasons:  

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP. 

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic

Happened again this afternoon. Fingbox suddenly offline for no apparent reason. LED red. No internet outage.

Is Fingbox finicky about the power supply? Moved Fingbox, modem, router, TV to newer better quality power strip...

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,053
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Dennissh
    You can certainly try to move Fingbox to a different power source. Also, I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline. 

I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if it is still losing connection or not.

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 
     To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic

I have had no further problem since changing the power supply.

Robin