Consistently different internet speeds measured in the Fing app and in my router app (Netgear Orb)

Atlix1Atlix1 Member Posts: 3
First Comment
The link speed between the Fingbox and the Orbi router is 1 Gbps. But I still get about 100 Mbps lower speed from the Fing. Why is that?
Tagged:

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Atlix1
    Can you share the screenshot of the slow speed so I can investigate? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Atlix1Atlix1 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

admin
    Hi @Atlix1

Thanks for screenshot. For now, Can you uninstall and re-install the App again?
    We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Atlix1Atlix1 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    hi, thanks for the info. I am runnig fw 1.14.16, but the speed is still not 100% right. 415 Mbps vs 500 Mbps in the router speed measurement.
  • GGGGGG Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I have same problem. Fing Box speed check is so way below the actual speed measured from my phone or at the router. I am on a VELOP tri band mesh system. I did check also from a lan connected computer attached to the same switch where the Fing Box is attached to and on the computer I get the same speed as on the router. The Fing Box completely lower on download. For uploads is almost realistic.

first pic the Fing Box

second my iPhone

third the Router speed which gives me the speed I pay for, 500/40

GG

First Comment

Ohh, forgot. I re installed the Fing App already.

First Comment

And this the speed from wired computer. Go figure.

admin
    GGG said:

And this the speed from wired computer. Go figure.

Can you try to run the same test on Wifi and see if the results are same as Fing Desktop or different?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment

From laptop on WiFi. Again a different measure. This is really not consistent.

admin
    Hi @GGG
    Can you send me screenshots of Speedtest on Wifi with our latest versions of both Fing App and Fing Desktop:
    1) From mobile Fing App 
    2) From M-lab Website
    3) From Fing Desktop
    Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)