On my list of devices is see things I know are mine and things that are listed as generic?

RoborobertsRoboroberts Member Posts: 1
Is generic on my list of devises not supposed to be there! My WiFi is locked and I’m not what they are
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,188
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Roboroberts welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    If a device is showing up on your LAN but you have no idea what it is, there are a few things that you can do about it.  First you could always block the device and then when you realize that something in your home doesn't have access to the internet like it should, that could be your 'generic' device.
    Another method to use is a MAC lookup (Google that) tool where you can input the MAC address of the Generic Device and receive information about the manufacturer which may help you in recognizing and labeling that device correctly.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 820
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
     Very good advise @kltaylor. Thanks @Roboroberts. A similar thread to user with a similar query, please see: https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/12451#Comment_12451
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,188
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ What he said =)
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain