WOL not working

gatmontana
gatmontana Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
First Comment
Hi.  I'm unable to wake up devices by sending magic packets from the Fingbox (through the app).  It works however when I use othe tools such as logmein or WakeOnLan (https://sourceforge.net/projects/aquilawol/) for instance.  Any ideas why it's not working?
Thanks
Tagged:
VioletChepil

Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 #2
    Hey @gatmontana
    EDITED: WoL is a Fing App and Fingbox feature. Yet you need to use the feature slightly differently.
    Fing App - must be on same network LAN
    Fingbox - you can be on LAN, but also use remotely.
    You need to go into the device and select automatically WoL then Fingbox will always wake the device. 

Community Manager at Fing

Robin_from_Fing
  • gatmontana
    First Comment

Hi. Indeed I am using it from the Fing app on the same network. My iPhone has a 192.168.1.16 address and the target computer is on the same subnet at 192.168.1.151. Logmein and wakeonline applications are used through a pc on the same network as well and they work fine. Are Fing app logs accessible somewhere?

thanks

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @gatmontana can you confirm WoL is currently enabled on the target device? 

• gatmontana
    First Comment

Yes it is. Fully enabled through the Bios. That’s how these other applications are working.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please attach a screenshot of what is happening for further troubleshooting? @gatmontana

• gatmontana
    First Comment

Nothing is hapenning actually. If I click on any PC on my network that is not on in the Fing App and then click on Wake on Lan I get the message that "wake on lan has been sent". Yet the machine does not turn on even after a significant time. Using other tools the machines start almost immediately. Is there a way to see the WOL message being sent by the Fing app?

Thanks

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    hey @gatmontana
    Just to clarify, you've tried to wake a PC which is not listed on Fing App?
    So I guess you are trying to do this manually be entering an IP address? 
    You should have all the devices listed on the network Fing App is connected to. Then you can choose your device and use the WoL feature.
    Let me know so I can further help and get to the bottom of this one. 

• gatmontana
    First Comment

No. The device is listed on Fing. It's just not turned on. As a result it will show on the app with status = offline. That's how I can click on the Wake on Lan option in the Fing app.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thank you @gatmontana I'm checking further on this. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @gatmontana can you send a screenshot of what you are entering and what you see so I can further help troubleshoot this situation?

• gatmontana
    First Comment

Already asked and answered

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I'm still investigating @gatmontana

• gatmontana
    First Comment
    Hi Violet.  I am indeed using an iphone.  Thanks for looking into this in details and forwarding to developers.
    Cheers,
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok a bit more details, I've had to edit my response above as some details were mistaken. I've marked that with EDIT> 
    WoL is a Fing App and Fingbox feature. Yet you need to use the feature slightly differently.
    Fing App - must be on same network LAN
    Fingbox - you can use remotely if you set it up 
    You need to go into the device and select automatically WoL then Fingbox will always wake the device. 

Are you on the Fingbox network? and have you set the device to Automatic WoL up from Device/Details page? 
    As the original post suggests you are using Fingbox "I'm unable to wake up devices by sending magic packets from the Fingbox (through the app)." and this could be because you need to enable the Automatic WoL then.
    Let me know if that works for you. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @gatmontana I'm just turning this into a question thread (so we may see if an answer has been found). Let me know if that has solved it for you...

• gatmontana
    First Comment

Seems to me the automatic wol is just for turning the machine on when it’s off. Very different functionality to pressing the wake on lan button because you need to use it there and then.

yes i have a Fingbox and I’m doing this on the same network as my fingbox using an iPhone. If you were able to reproduce the problem with an iPhone but not with android then you have a bug. Would be good if you would stop trying to sell bs answers like use another feature. I’m an IT pro and I use wol every day. You have a bug. Deal with it.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your response. @gatmontana as you may be aware, on iPhone the app isn't always able to get all MAC addresses. https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/cant-fing-see-mac-addresses-ios-11/
    After investigation with my team, this is likely the reason you can't use the on-demand WoL on this device.
    Fingbox is able to get the MAC address to do the auto WoL. Most likely from an Android device the Fing App could do the auto WoL but because on iOS 11 many MAC addresses are masked, this is likely the reason you can't use the feature. 
    In this case, in the event it is due to the MAC address issue, we are not able to fix this and it is not a bug.

• gatmontana
    First Comment
    MAC address randomization is a feature of IOS to hide the actual MAC address of an iphone from an unregistered wifi access point.  That has to do with protecting the iphone from snooping and absolutely nothing to do with with the Fing app on an iphone not getting the right MAC address from a Windows PC.  In fact the Fingbox gets the MAC address and it is totally correct.  It's ok to not know about something.  What I don't get is why you feel the need to splurt out something totally and laughably stupid (again).

Well it's been fun chatting with you but I must say Fing is now an utter disappointment.  Yes it's cheap but the support is totally useless and obviously run by people with no IT skills or experience and zero willingness to do anything about it.  I'm off looking for a semi-pro solution with proper support and won't be answering anymore.  Don't bother to respond.
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @gatmontanaI am very sorry that you are unhappy with the information offered. We are committed to our Fing users and community. We do our utmost to assist with any queries/suggesting/troubleshooting issues. With this in mind, I have followed up further based on the information you provided; to clarify with your issue, Can you please tell me if the MAC address was detected by the Fing App for which you are trying to use WOL feature? Once again, I am sorry that you are unhappy with the information provided.

• daved2424
    daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    MAC address randomization is a feature of IOS to hide the actual MAC address of an iphone from an unregistered wifi access point.  That has to do with protecting the iphone from snooping and absolutely nothing to do with with the Fing app on an iphone not getting the right MAC address from a Windows PC.  In fact the Fingbox gets the MAC address and it is totally correct.  It's ok to not know about something.  What I don't get is why you feel the need to splurt out something totally and laughably stupid (again).

Well it's been fun chatting with you but I must say Fing is now an utter disappointment.  Yes it's cheap but the support is totally useless and obviously run by people with no IT skills or experience and zero willingness to do anything about it.  I'm off looking for a semi-pro solution with proper support and won't be answering anymore.  Don't bother to respond.

Just because you have not received a response to your satisfaction, it does not give you the right to be so downright rude and insulting. Hiding behind a keyboard doesn’t mean you can behave like a petulant child throwing a pathetic temper tantrum. 

Go away, calm down down, come back, and apologise. Then maybe Fing and the community will be able to assist you further. Until then, you are not welcome anywhere where there are other respectable human beings.