Fing Speed Test vs. Speedtest

Whose_On_1stWhose_On_1st Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic

I've been trying the speed test available on the Fing application vs. what Speedtest reports. Tonight I ran (3) tests on this app with an average download speed of 25 Mbps, whereas Speedtest showed speeds of 90 + Mbps? Why the huge difference in reporting?

Nexxpikatoste

Best Answer

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 787
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I'm not sure what's going on there, it certainly shouldn't be that slow.

Whose_On_1st
  • NexxNexx Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I am seeing the exact same issue using the mobile app. Speedtest shows Download 220Mbps and Fing mobile shows only 92Mbps down. 
    The Fing Desktop app shows the correct data. So there is a bug in the mobile app.

• JhonnelJhonnel Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I have the same experience speed test from fing fewer 25mbps vs actual speedtest.net I'm using the fingbox v2, please advise.
    Thank You.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,695
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi Everyone,
    If the results from the M-lab website and Fing App are same then it seems like M-lab servers are overloaded due to current circumstances. 
    Moreover, We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Jhonnel