Pings dropping on Synology NAS using Fing App / Fingbox

JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
✭✭✭
Would anyone with a synology NAS try pinging from the fing app please.  Pings from anywhere on my network are fine, but from the fingbox I am getting ~25% drop so not sure whats going on.  If anyone with a synology can check for me it would be appreciated if you have the same issue.  

I have the DS718+ with a Bond but have also tried without the bond and the same issue!

Best Answer

• webwolfwebwolf Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Seems it's the DoS protection mechanism. I'm not sure why but it's definitely a Synology issue...
    Disable DoS protection and re-run ping, it'll work instantly.

JohnDaveMacMedix

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll give it a shot and see what happens, @John.  I'll let you know what I find.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    John
  • webwolfwebwolf Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    ✭✭

I also see this from the fing app (I don't have the box) but pinging the Synology Nas shows frequent drops from my cellphone. If I ping from a terminal on my phone to the Nas there's no drops.

Not sure why fing produce drops but I'm assuming there are no actual drops. Must be a bug in the software?

• JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    ✭✭✭
    webwolf said:

I also see this from the fing app (I don't have the box) but pinging the Synology Nas shows frequent drops from my cellphone. If I ping from a terminal on my phone to the Nas there's no drops.

Not sure why fing produce drops but I'm assuming there are no actual drops. Must be a bug in the software?

Glad its not me (well not glad, you know what I mean). 
    Screenshot below typical for me.  @kltaylor did you manage to test at all?

Gla
    kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I did but that was performed back in February.  I'd have to re-familiarize myself with the issue and test again to see if it's still the same output that I collected back then.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I'm at work at the moment and do not have a local IP connection through my software router, I'll do it when I arrive there and see if I have the same thing happen.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Guess what..

Going to ping@Robin

✭✭✭

How bizarre! I would have thought a ping is a ping but clearly something is not right here! Thanks for checking I do think this is worth a flag to the Fing team!

kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    John said:

How bizarre! I would have thought a ping is a ping but clearly something is not right here! Thanks for checking I do think this is worth a flag to the Fing team!

Yeah, something definitely isn't 'right' about this situation.  Why drop every other request, displaying the odd sequential results and dropping the even ones.  Thing is, we know that three of us who have both devices are experiencing the same issue.  Hopefully we helped to uncover something that the devs can place a target onto.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @John
    Ping feature works on best effort basis. To explain better for ping not working, I believe this external article will be useful.
    For NAS, Please make sure all ports needed for Fingbox is open for it. Ports 80, 443 are usually used by Synology NAS.  You will need to change those port configurations so that both of these devices can work together.   

This is just a sample from WD on how to do this.  This is from their community forum. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭
    webwolf said:
    Seems it's the DoS protection mechanism. I'm not sure why but it's definitely a Synology issue...
    Spot on, disabled it and hey presto.  Thanks that at least explains it :)
    CiaranwebwolfkltaylorRobin
  • DaveMacMedixDaveMacMedix Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
    webwolf said:
    Yes, webwolf is correct! I ran that Ping test with my Synology DS218, then disabled the Synology Control Panel -> Security-> Protection-> DoS  and got the same results. Winner!