How do I identify which are my devices on my network?

I'm confused about the devices on my network. I don't understand IP addresses and can't figure out who's on my network. It is pw protected.

Answers

• JlongeeJlongee Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

i would also like to know how to identify devices? Can’t. Figure it out

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    HI all,
    Thanks for your post. Any advice for them @Marc @rooted @kltaylor

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,147
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start the ball rolling.  

Think of the IP address as a street address.  When a device communicates to and from the internet and your network, the data has to have an address to use to know where the destination and originating address are so it knows where to go and how to get back.  That is unique to each device in your network and is usually assigned automatically by your router.  An address can change over time but its always unique.  Your router keeps track of an address and where it belongs.  

To further muddy things a bit, there are only so many addresses available so there is something called NAT (network address translation).  The way that works is your modem/router has a forward facing unique address that the world can see, while you're internal devices have they're own set of IP addresses, not visible to the world.  When something is trying to reach your PC, internet traffic first goes to your modem/router since that's the only address that exposed, and then your router forwards it to your PC because it has its own address list it follows.

The MAC address is a unique identifier given to the network card on your device.  If we use the example of a smart phone, there would be one MAC address assigned to the wifi card or interface and one to the cellular data network.  Your router or the cell company then assigns an IP address to the interfaces using the Mac address as the name it assigns it to.

This is a really basic explanation and perhaps others can explain it in more depth but hope it helps you a bit.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    RobinAlbert
  • AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Great explanation from Marc.  Just think of it as the postman who needs to have yr address to deliver a letter to you, or collect one from yr mailbox.
    Unless the postman has your address, no mail will get to you. Think of your Router as the sorting office.... they look at your address and then figure out to which postman to give your letter to... so he can get it to your (mailbox) door.
    If you want to know a bit more?  Here is a tutorial.

Marcwengker9
  • Hamster_fangHamster_fang Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

If it's not obvious by the attributes found by Fing, then you might have to go to each device in turn and find out its MAC or IP so you can reference back.

There are plenty of articles on how to find the local IP address of devices, such as Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone...

Once you know the IP or MAC address of a device you can look it up and rename it in Fing.

Another thing you can try is to flag devices in Fing with the Notification "alert me when state changes" , then turn some devices on/off to see which ones trigger the Fing notification. Click on a device, scroll down to the notifications section, turn on the "Alert me when state changes" option, turn off/on your devices in turn till you get a notification. You might want to flag all devices and set up some temporary labels in Fing to make it easier?

AlbertHamsterFangsJohnPM
  • AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent Advice !
    HamsterFangs