Replacing a fried gateway

AgudenAguden Member Posts: 5
Photogenic First Comment
my Comcast gateway was fried this afternoon by a lightning strike (along with a few other electrical devices). I picked up a replacement and plugged it in and in about an hour I was back up and running. I haven’t plugged the Fingbox back in. Will it just be ok with the new Gateway?  All of the devices are the same except for the Gateway.  

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Aguden what gateway are you using? 
    We always recommend plugging into the router/access point. 
    Can IPv6 be disabled as well and the main ports of communication needed for Fingbox are still opened?

Community Manager at Fing

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Whilst lightening rarely strikes twice (and for everyone else here), I highly recommend both localized and whole house surge protectors.

The whole house protectors (attached to the fuse box) have a higher VPR so are useful against high voltage surges such as lightening strikes. The localized ones you can buy anywhere are great at handling lower voltage surges that the whole house one may not prevent.

Having both will prevent a high voltage surges from potentially overloading the smaller localized ones which could otherwise even start a fire.

Whole house protectors can cost a couple of hundred bucks here in the US, and have to be replaced once tripped. They are however very easy for an electrician to add - took an hour for our 60 year old quad level.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • AgudenAguden Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    !st to Violet:  Gateway is a Cisco  DPC3941T.  I have the Fingbox connected to a 16 port switch that is plugged directly in to the gateway.  No problems.  I'm a bit nervous about turning off IPV6.  Not sure what that will do with the diverse group of devices on my network.  About 35 normally active and another 15 or so coming in and out.
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aguden the biggest impact will possibly be that you won't be able to block any of the devices that are using IPv6 since the Fingbox uses ARP poisoning to work its blocking magic - and that's not supported on IPv6.

VioletChepil
  • AgudenAguden Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    And to Pooh:  I know lightning shouldn't strike twice but this is the 3rd strike in 10 years that has caused damage.  I am in South East Florida and we are reputed to be the lightning capital of the world.  I am interested in your suggestions. I will probably need an electrician since I have 3 separate buildings (damage in all 3 this time) with 4 panels and a generator with a automatic transfer switch.  Yes, we get hurricanes too and lose power regularly in the summer and fall. So any suggestions would be welcomed.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @Aguden - ahh, Flor-ree-dah! Say no more! You might also want to invest in a lightening ground rod - something that'll hopefully attract the wandering electrons and shove them to the ground, rather than inside the house.

I'd imagine you'd need one per panel. However,  as for the generator:  that I'm unsure of - however after this last weekend where Duke Energy caused a second outage as they they fixed a first, I'm seriously thinking of getting one for here. (It started off with just 245 people, including Casa de Pooh, however the moment they restored the juice, we lost it again, along with a further 3,000 more of neighbors!). We may not be the deep south (I'm in Ohio), but ice storms seem to have an annoying habit of causing week long outages.
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aguden I don't see your device on known issue hardware list. https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/router-extenders-access-point-compatibility/ So should be OK and we don't have known issues with it. 
    Can you confirm the following channels/ports can be accessible?
    Allow Fingbox to reach any IP address on the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 4443, 5671.
    The ports needed for the Internet Speed Test, provided by M-Lab include 3001, 3002, 3003. 
    Yes, in order to use Bandwidth analysis and device blocking you'd need IPv6 disabled. 
    If all looks good, you could test it but I'm hesitant to make any claim in concrete as there are thousands of devices etc. and we can't be sure Fingbox is tested with all.
    If you could let us know how you get on that would be great! 

Community Manager at Fing