Is there a hidden camera/device in my home?

FlynniWFlynniW England Member Posts: 17
10 Comments Photogenic

Azure Wave Technology is showing in my Fence.

their Mac lookup tells me they manufacture phone cameras, solder in motoring units, small and discreet. It showed as inmynetwork, that means it’s on my network?

i have attached some pictures let me know what your thoughts are. I have had a feeling I am being watched by a neighbour in my home for a while.

its called “watched” creepy and is very close to fingbox, how would I find it?

CiaranRobin

Answers

• WillWill Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

If it's a neighbour but he's hooked the device up to your wifi, then change the password on your router.

IIf there is a camera that uses infra red, wait until it's dark, turn your lights off and point your phones camera where you think there might be a spy cam. If it uses infra red it will show up as a bright light white. (To test this point your phone camera at your tv remote control and press a button on the tv remote, you will see it shine a white light out of the front). Do it when it's dark as some spy cams will only turn their infra red on when they either detect dark or on a schedule to come on after sunset.

IIf that fails, order some red gels (they are like a piece of clear red plastic). Put this in front of a torch and shine it round the room slowly and carefully. Camera lenses usually show up with a glint.

Ciaran[Deleted User]SilentmanMessy
  • FlynniWFlynniW England Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Photogenic

Thanks I’ll give it a try, hope I’m wrong and it’s just picking up a camera below me in a flat, fingers crossed. The world we live in today hey :)

Ciaran
  • CRJCRJ Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Azure wave is more than just cameras. Google Chromecast and some home automation things us it, like smart wall sockets or other IoT things.

10 Comments Photogenic

Ah okay thats great to know. However there is definitely something using my bandwidth as since i changed my router password I’m seeing so many randomised devices pop into my digital fence and pop out again. Cyber neighbour Criminals afoot.

10 Comments Photogenic

That’s really helpful. I have been switching off WiFi when I’m not using it. It’s making a difference.

I don’t have the ability of a guest network on my router it’s ISP supplied.

but I do have problem people around me, who want to steal WiFi and not pay for their own. So I think this process of making it unavailable most of the time will make them search elsewhere.

thanks for the advice it’s really good sound advice :)

Ciaran
  • ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 55
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees First Answer
    ✭✭
    You said they were showing up in your fence. So lets understand what the fence is exactly. The fence will display any wifi radio that it detects near your fingbox. If something is listed there without your SSID, its not connected to your network. Also it lists the device as being in range breifly. Again, not connected to your network. You would also be able to see a SSID listed if it was connected to a neighbors SSID (probably not if it was a hidden SSID, maybe somebody could verify that for sure)

I dont agree with the responce about using a generic name for your SSID, I dont think they grasp how somebody would go about gaining access to your wifi. That password scheme has pretty standard replacements, a program used to verify strong passwords would see "$" used in place of "s" and consider that a weak password.  Random password generators are a much better option. Nobody will be manually entering that password string anyway, the attack would be fully automated. As far as SSID name, nothing about your name is going to really matter. What matters is your signal strength and eventually your connection speed. When you can control your WIFI radio, best practices are to only turn it up enough to cover where you need it. No reason for it to be strong beyond that area, Its just interfearing with neighboring wifi at that point anyway. Weak wifi would be the best way to keep yourself from standing out.  One trick If you ever move up to managed access points, is setting up groups that allow different wifi speeds for different users. You can setup the generic group that all users would be classified in (without you changing that classsification) to connect to your wifi at such a limited speed it would drive them crazy. They will forget all about your network and find somehing better.
    Right now you can set your fingbox to deny wifi to all new devices untill you aprove them.
  • FabianFabian Member, Beta Tester Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    How about using a 24-character password for your Wi-Fi...?