Fingbox showing open ports for Wifi Disabled device

WhatIsUp
WhatIsUp Member Posts: 9
First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
edited January 2, 2020 in Fingbox #1

Recently when I turn my iPad Pro WiFi off I recieve a mess from my Fing box that the device I just turned off is in range of my network. So I scanned my network and sure enough there it was, so I did a port scan and found 4 ports open. I then went into settings to double check all wireless and Wifi were off (I’m aware of the changes in ios13) and did another scan and the same four ports were open. 

1080 socks

1083 ansoft-lm-1

8021. FTP-proxy

9090. Zues admin server

To make things stranger, when the WiFi is turned on none of those ports are open just the usual iOS sync port. It happens most times I turn the WiFi off, not every time, with the same results and then eventually it turns off. This has happened multiple times recently . Is it possible the device is uploading device activity to another device after it’s been turned off?! It’d be pretty sneaky. If I didn’t have the Fing I’d have no idea it was happening. Anyways, please help!!!

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,869
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @WhatIsUp
    I have adjusted the title a little bit and moved it to the Fingbox category so other all members can guide you. Thanks for the question.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Gem
  • Stef
    Stef Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    What happens if you put it into airplane mode do you get the same behavior?

• WhatIsUp
    edited April 25, 2020 #4
    Stef:  yes, same thing happens. if i put it in airplane mode, everything seems to turn  off. then a minute or two later fing notifies me that my device is in range and then a few minute later it say it's offline??
  • WhatIsUp
    Robin: thank you
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,869
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    WhatIsUp said:
    Stef:  yes, same thing happens. if i put it in airplane mode, everything seems to turn  off. then a minute or two later fing notifies me that my device is in range and then a few minute later it say it's offline??

The reason you may be experiencing this issue in relation to alerts for specific devices, is that you might have changed the state change alert from default value to a different value. The usual default value is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as 'Online' and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked 'Online' and only after that time period it will be recorded as 'Offline', thus providing you with an alert. 

In order to change the alert settings, please click on the device from the device list and then scroll down to 'State Change Timeout(auto)' . You can then set the value to at least 2 minutes. This will resolve your issue.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • WhatIsUp
    Stef said:
    What happens if you put it into airplane mode do you get the same behavior?

Same. 

• max2198
    max2198 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited February 11, 2021 #8
    Newer phones and tablets do not turn off the WI-FI radio it just terminates the connections.
    I do know that apple Iphones and Ipads does also my Motorola Android phone does, it has a setting "turn on Wi-Fi automatically" this turns the Wi-Fi back on near hq saved networks. 
    the Wi-Fi is part of the location services 
    if it is an Apple device there is a security flaw in the Wi-Fi update the IOS as soon as possible info at link  
    https://www.wired.com/story/zero-click-ios-attack-project-zero/