Google WiFi Installation with Existing Fingbox

Bob_LBob_L Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
Basically, I'm trying to determine if my best path forward is to remove all the existing networks and start over, or if someone has discovered a good way to install the Google WiFI mesh into an existing setup.  Everything was golden on my setup until I turned off my router's WiFi and cranked up the Google Mesh WiFi.  It see's the original (meaning Router and all the devices setup on it.  This is the one with the Fingbox icon.) and Google WiFi without issue.  

However, it sees them as totally different networks.  Now, new wireless devices only show up in the Google WiFi.  They never make their way to the original network.  Although, the existing network does recognize when the device is online if it was already setup on the network prior to the update to Google WiFi.

My guess is removing all the networks and then installing fresh will solve the issue.  I just hate to if I don't have to perform a mass operation like that.  I have around 60 wireless devices in the house (not all active at once but at one time or another).  I hate to have to go in create descriptions, assign to people, etc. again if I don't have to do it.

Any success stories, anecdotes, or advice is appreciated.  I just installed a new AppleTV on my kid's TV.  I need to get it into the Fingbox network ASAP so I can be a despot and turn it off at a certain hour.  :wink:

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the post @Bob_L
    Any advice for our member here @rooted @kltaylor @Marc. Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bobl, honestly if you're introducing new manufacturer technology into your network topology, it's  always best to start over.
    Your current Gateway/Router sounds like it's doing exactly as I would expect to, which is to detect the different systems, but will also cause connectivity issues if it hasn't started doing that already.
    Go through your current setup, screen capture or manually document any custom settings, drop the network and add the new one.  You'll be a lot happier once it's back up and humming.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Bob_L
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,171
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @kltaylor on this one as well.  While I tend to keep the same ssid when I upgrade kit for simplicity, everything old is removed and the new is added afterwords.  I have found it not good practice to keep them both up and running at the same time.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylorBob_L
  • Bob_LBob_L Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, everyone.  I suspected that was probably the case.  Figured it couldn't hurt to ask to make sure I wasn't missing a more simple solution.  Thanks again for the help!
    Marc

@kltaylor & @Marc That seems to have worked great. I had to plug the Fingnox into the primary Google Hub (the one plugged into the service provider’s router) to get it to find the WiFi, but it is humming along after that

This brought up a new question though. And, again, I think I know the answer. If I want to monitor the other direct wired connections to my service provider’s network, do I need a 2nd Fingbox for that? And, if I do get a second one, must I have a WiFi network turned on through that Router? Or can I just just monitor the wired connections sans 2nd WiFi network? Thanks again for all your help.

edited April 2020
    @Robin, @kltaylor, @Marc - Wondering if I can steal one of y’all’s help again...  As we talked about in the previous discussion, I now have my Google Wifi setup humming along.  I had to plug the Fingbox into the Google Hub since it required itself to be on the same WiFi connection.  Since I can’t plug my Google Hub directly into the FIOS feed I’m getting, I have it plugged into the router provided by Frontier.  I want to monitor and control the wired connections, too, so I need a second Fingbox for the provider’s router.  (Correct me if I’m wrong...) 

Here is where my questions come in.  Can I setup the Fingbox without a WIFi connection?  Or will I need to create a second WiFi network off of the provider’s router?  And, if I do need to create a second WiFi network/connection on that router, does it have to stay active all the time?  Or just when I configure the Fingbox? (Since I only really want to monitor/control wired devices through the provider’s router?)

Thanks in advance for your advice!  I just want to make sure I set it up right the first time.

Bob
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Bob_L
    You can set up Fingbox without Wifi but FIngbox will mainly monitor the wifi connection. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Thanks.  I got it all working, but I did have to setup a WiFi network to get the initial connection.  Everything is humming along great now with the 2 Fingboxes.
    MarcRobin