Home Assistant and Fing - Access to local API

124»

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 1,719
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Bieniu said:
    @Robin So maybe people from Fing team should change the "Fing Roadmap" if they "are always looking for user feedback and suggestions"? What is the feature request category for if you have your "Fing Roadmap" and don't consider what users want?
    I have put the idea for the developers and if many users are requesting the same feature then it will be reviewed over. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Tetragram
  • AzielAziel Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

@go_robot_go 100% agree

Mirekmalapt
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 66
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, go check out r/homeassistant on Reddit, and note the issues people are having with presence detection and device trackers. These are early adopters, people who will not hesitate to drop $100 on a device that will solve this problem. 
    Can't highlight it any better! By far Fing presence detection is superior to any other method available (well, I could try) in Home Assistant. I can only second @go_robot_go that I'd not hesitate a second to upgrade to next get box if needed, just to get Fingbox grade presence detection!
    smackie
  • smackiesmackie Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    There doesn't even really need to be an API here. If there was an "Advanced" option under the Network settings (or another tab for IoT) that allowed an MQTT broker to be declared then the Fingbox could at least eject a limited state stream to the MQTT broker. That would let us add integrations for things like Home Assistant. If required, you could enforce a requirement that the broker has to be on the local network (which seems like a reasonable compromise). This seems like it adds the right functionality without requiring local authentication on the Fingbox
    aptAzielDaveFiattzonko
    smackie said:
    There doesn't even really need to be an API here. If there was an "Advanced" option under the Network settings (or another tab for IoT) that allowed an MQTT broker to be declared then the Fingbox could at least eject a limited state stream to the MQTT broker. That would let us add integrations for things like Home Assistant. If required, you could enforce a requirement that the broker has to be on the local network (which seems like a reasonable compromise). This seems like it adds the right functionality without requiring local authentication on the Fingbox
    Yea, it "could" be a really well-baked feature, but honestly, if I could run a javascript script with basic HTTP/connect/disconnect triggers, this would be easily the best home automation device on the market.
  • DaveFiDaveFi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    Photogenic First Comment
    smackie said:
    As I mentioned before, I asked them about exactly this back in June 2017 and they seemed quite enthusiastic with their response:

Presence detection is actually a use case which we are looking at closely and will certainly follow up on your recommendation, all of which seem very reasonable.

Given its almost 3 years later and nothing has materialised, I'm no longer hopeful :disappointed:

gernotattzonko
    It really shouldn't be "that" hard as Fingbox already has this functionality to make a POST to IFTTT on events, it's just a matter of exposing/extending this functionality to allow us to define what API endpoint we're hitting instead of IFTTT.
    kltaylorattzonko
  • attzonkoattzonko Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 28
    Aziel said:
    It really shouldn't be "that" hard as Fingbox already has this functionality to make a POST to IFTTT on events, it's just a matter of exposing/extending this functionality to allow us to define what API endpoint we're hitting instead of IFTTT.
    And almost a year later we have come full circle. I started this thread precisely because they added IFTTT support. Pushing that same data to a local MQTT broker, or exposing an API to access that same type of data they push to IFTTT should not be that technically challenging. If I had to guess there is some sort of hidden non-technical limitation, some agreement with IFTTT or some other entity preventing Fing from opening up their local data to the DIY community. 
    I also want to reiterate one point, Home Assistant for me is all about local network traffic, not having my data leave my home, I backed Fing with that in mind, as I saw the opportunity. I now feel they are potentially looking for how to get into the monthly service fee $$$ business, in order to keep up with the competition. 
    smackieAzielRGN01DaveFi
    In my experience IFTTT charges for integrations, so it's much more likely Fing is paying IFTTT for the listing. If I had to venture a guess, it's likely coming from a PM in Fing believing that the desire for this is too small or being unwilling to release an "advanced" feature without significant engineering to make it nice.... Or as you said, opening pandora's box and missing out on some hypothetical future monthly revenue stream.
    RGN01Caboz
  • ricarvaricarva Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    'Just wanted to add that this is also one of the main points that's keeping me from buying a Fingbox.
    Home Assistant local integration is pretty much a must for any and all appliances I get these days, and a product like Fing would play very nicely into the rest of the system.
  • ricarvaricarva Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Also: this seems to be, by far, the most wanted new feature request from the community.
    @Robin, @VioletChepil, @Gidster: any updates on the status of this "idea"?

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 1,719
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    The feature request has already been passed on to our developers for consideration and hopefully, it may be implemented soon but as of now there is no timeframe. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!