How do I get these people off my stuff?

Lauras521_2Lauras521_2 Member Posts: 7
First Comment

My laptop top says that there is a unidentified network, my WiFi said is z2156 or something like that, this other network is the same except for it has a 2 behind it. At first I thought it was my vpn. It made me kind of uncomfortable because today it said it had internet access and before it didn’t. So I ran the network troubleshooter on Windows and it said Ethernet cable unplugged. Everything is wireless. So I disconnected from WiFi and shut the laptop down. About an hour ago I check Fing. It says 3 devices, router, phone and laptop. So i power up the laptop, sign in, check that WiFi is off, I refresh Fing and now two devices. So I check settings and it’s a Bluetooth connection. My Bluetooth on laptop is off always. So how is this possible. I have a netgear router which I’ve changed everything on so it’s secure but I can’t get on it’s website to get these people off which I am calling netgear so I can get program it not to accept any devices but it doesn’t detect this device but Fing does. So how do I make these people go away? I’m not very tech savvy . So I don’t understand how they are doing this?? Please help. Thank you!!

Best Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Lauras521_2 welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    The first thing that I would do is access the router (your netgear device) and change passwords both to access the menu, and to your wireless SSID's.  What you can do is issue a Google search for the make and model of your router with the term 'password reset' at the end, there should be something online that can walk you through that process.
    Of course calling their support team is always helpful, too.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 73
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    edited April 2020 Accepted Answer

When you start fing, notice the home tab at the bottom left of your smart phone (iPhone here it may be different on android). At the top where is says home, press the right arrow. You will see devices, network, internet and people; click ‘network’. Scroll down and you will see autoblock new devices. Click the right arrow. Is this turned on? After reading this I noticed mine was turned off.

Answers

• Lauras521_2Lauras521_2 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

i am going to reset it and start all over with a clean slate. I’m also resetting my pc as we speak. I found out how they are getting on with their Bluetooth device. I believe they are tethering it though the mobile hotspot on my laptop but I can disable that as well as Bluetooth. I checked it out and there was a mobile hotspot network password that I didn’t put there. I’m hoping this will make them decide to go on someone else’s WiFi. Thanks for your help.

kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!  If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    OKC
    First Comment

Ok thank you very much

kltaylor
    First Comment

No I only have my iPhone and my laptop on my network. I ended up resetting my laptop because I found in my network properties on my laptop that there was a Bluetooth connection on there at one time. So in order to unpair that Bluetooth from my laptop, I just reset the laptop. I needed to do it anyway because I accidentally deleted my user profile and I tried everything to get it back but it was gone. I hardly use my laptop. I only go on a couple of websites anyway. I just got tired of people hoping on my stuff. I mean I’m paying for it. The nighthawk I just went on the app, changed the password and changed my ssid and network password so I’m thinking I’m good to go now. Whenever windows does an update it turns my Bluetooth on so I have to keep an eye out for that. I also disabled the mobile hotspot on the laptop because I never use it. Thanks for your help!

kltaylor
    First Comment

I’ll have to look at that, I have my WiFi turned off right now but when I turn it back on, i will check that out. Thank you very much!