How to stop Fing Desktop from sync'ing network information to cloud

SpacemanSpaceman Member Posts: 2
Name Dropper First Comment
For years I have been using the Fing iOS app to scan my home network to check for unknown devices.  The iOS apps is nice and self contained, so I never worried much about its own security.

I recently downloaded the Windows Fing desktop application.  Worked great, has a easy interface, and provides better results than other scanners I have tried.

BUT ... The desktop app requires one to create a Fing account, and the results of the scan are uploaded to Fing cloud.  So basically now my external IP, all my internal IPs, and all my device's MACs are on the cloud.  At first blush this seems like a huge security concern.

Is there a way to stop Fing desktop from uploading all my network information to the cloud?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,147
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spaceman , I'm going to go out on a limb here but I would guess that even the mobile app is storing pieces of your information out in the cloud, account or not, as it uses cloud based information for device resolution etc.   Here is a link to Fings info privacy strategy in case you've never seen it and it does explain their collection process, what they do with the data etc.  

As far as the desktop app, it is not meant to run without your account but I will leave it to @Robin from fing to chime in with Fings exact take on this.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • SpacemanSpaceman Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    @Marc - Thanks for your feedback.  I have read the privacy policy.  In general I don't mind cursory data collection like the mobile app, because without an account it is likely to be done in a non-identifiable manner in order to garner additional information, as you stated.
    My concern with the Destktop app is that it nicely sycns up everything to the cloud, external IPs, internal IPs, device names, device types, and Mac addresses.  seems like a hackers paradise.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Spaceman said:
    @Marc - Thanks for your feedback.  I have read the privacy policy.  In general I don't mind cursory data collection like the mobile app, because without an account it is likely to be done in a non-identifiable manner in order to garner additional information, as you stated.
    My concern with the Destktop app is that it nicely sycns up everything to the cloud, external IPs, internal IPs, device names, device types, and Mac addresses.  seems like a hackers paradise.

Fing applications are a cloud based appliance and as such a Fing account is required in order to deliver its functionality. Any personal information we hold about you in our cloud is used solely for the purpose of delivering and improving our service to you.

We do not sell, rent, or share any personal information with any external third party. All information we hold about a user is visible to the user at https://app.fing.com/app#user:account and can be deleted upon request by canceling your account with us. For more information about our privacy policy and practices, please visit https://app.fing.com/privacy

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!