Os detection

shaulzshaulz Member Posts: 2
Photogenic First Comment
edited April 5 in Fing Desktop discussions
I have installed the Fing desktop on a VM which connect to many other VMs. the Fing desktop recognized many devices but with no details what so ever , why is that ? is there any other API \ software that does gives details on devices ?
Another (and more important question) - how do I recognize OS including whether it is a server \ client machine ? 

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,823
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @shaulz , for the client OS recognition improvement, you could try to take the forced recognition route.  If you notice on the desktop app, there is a button for recognize (Graphic below)... Click it and you will see a URL...  From a browser on the device you want more details on, enter the url.  That will allow slightly better browser based interrogation of a device and will feed that back to the app.

From Fing... (The topic was related to the mobile app and fingbox but I would guess the concert is the same)

"The underlying technology is that we are leveraging HTTP User Agent of your devices' browsers to try and enrich the recognitions. We developed this fingerprinting for our partners that are running inside routers"

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • shaulzshaulz Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks for the quick replay Marc,
    But I want a "remote" recognition without helping the system ( I have a big cluster of machines so I cant do it manually).
    I have another issue - I have created a new VM cluster with different Window OS (all Window but some 7/ 10 / server) and installed Fing desktop only on one of them - the Fing recognize the other VMs as VM without and OS detail at all. Is that a normal behavior ? (BTW if I install Fing on one of the other VMs the first VM does recognize and display the OS)
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,823
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point it might be better to get the people who know the guts of the product in to comment...  @Robin , any advice on how to up recognition in this scenario?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,121
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All,
    Can you try to scan with our latest upgrade version 1.3.0 which has improved device recognition?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!