How do you repair a fingbox

J9F
J9F Member Posts: 5
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Seen a couple of posts here that seem to be similar to a problem I have just experienced.

Been using a fingbox for a while now bit have just had to move it due to a router change. I left all the cables in fingbox but when I plugged it back in nothing happened. Thought I should check the USB power adapter first so I unplugged it. It's fine but when I reattached it to the fingbox the USB socket disconnected and is now loose in the box.

Is this fixable? If so, how? Anyone got any tips?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @J9F, is it still in warranty ?  How long have you had it?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • J9F

Hi Marc, I very much doubt it, I got in on the crowd funding campaign back in 2016 / 2017 so it'll be miraculous if it was.

I think I may need to fix it myself so wondered if anyone had done so and could offer tips.

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets see if maybe the Fing folks can help, can't hurt to try...  @Robin , any suggestions on next steps for @J9F ?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @J9F
    Thanks for your post. In this case, it seems like the USB socket has fallen off the board and you may need to solder it to board. This is a hardware fault and proper precautions need to be taken while fixing it. If you want to continue using it then I would advise not to do it yourself and take it to any hardware electrical shop and they can do it for you.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • J9F

Hi @Robin, I did wonder if it was something that would be tricky to do. I have a soldering iron but it does look tricky and fingboxes haven't made it to ifixit yet so I'd be working blind. ok I will do that. Hopefully in a month or two when we've sent Covid19 packing I can get my little fingbox back on line. Thank you.

Robin_from_Fing
  • mfh
    mfh Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Same issue as many others - USB charging port loose since I first set it up - but I don't move it, and it was working, so I left it alone. I had to disconnect it to access my modem recently, but now it won't power on. I ordered it Feb. 24, 2019 so it has been installed just about a year (but warranty is 2 years anyway.) Like J9F above, with coronavirus, there's no way to get it repaired in the foreseeable future. Please advise quickest way to resolve this issue.  Thanks
  • J9F

Been about a year now since my post. I have tried multiple times to fix my fingbox and its broken power connection. All have failed. I've searched you tube for fixit videos and tried to copy them to no avail. Local and not so local repair shops either won't help or charge considerably more than the cost of a new fingbox for a no guarantee fix. I should probably have bitten the bullet and replaced the thing but it bugs me that it's £100 cost for me to fix what seems to be a poor design decision and every time I get to the point of pressing the buy button I think why should I. I just moved it a little. Oh well. As it's been a year I'm also wondering if I actually need a fingbox. So has anyone got any good stories that can convince me to stay with it?