How are the Checked Apps chosen, and can they be changed?

wjswjs Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
I see connectivity checking for apps that I never use, and would like to add ones that I do use so that this feature better reflects my presence on the Internet.  More to the point, is checking app connectivity really useful?

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We have used widely used sites under Fing Desktop for the network checks. As of now, these sites are not changeable. Your input is very much appreciated because we are creating a brand new product that will stay in the middle of a consumer product but at the same time a software for network and IT experts like yourself. 
    We are definitely open to any input, and in case it comes from skilled people, we are very interested in having specific and technical feedback. As matter of fact we did leverage our Fing community of Fing users and network experts to design Fing Desktop main features, and our intention is to maintain this open feedback loop while fixing, improving and adding value to our products. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @wjs
    Can you tell which checked apps are you referring to so I can guide you? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • wjswjs Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited March 20
    Sorry if I don't understand, but I'm not sure why the apps shown at the end of the Fing report need checking. Among them are several popular but not universally used apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, Microsoft Office, etc. The results show variably, "can be reached" or "available", yet the technical explanation for either is the same, the site is browsable, an easy enough thing to check outside of Fing. Is Fing capable of revealing any deeper explanation for an app NOT being available or browsable? If not, what's the point?

I think that if there is value in app checking, then it ought to reflect personal choices rather than just a few apps that may or may not be useful to everyone. For example, I don't use Facebook or its included Whatsapp, but I do have other social applications that I might want included if it helps me. I think of Fing and Fingbox as a source of technical network insight not otherwise easily available. App checking doesn't seem to provide that.