Why we introduced ads on the Fing App

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Fing App
In Fing App 8.2.4 we introduced ads in the free App. Ads help us earn revenue to keep Fing running.

If you get a Fingbox, you won’t see ads.

What do you think of ads?

Let me know your thoughts in the discussion below.

Community Manager at Fing

Lee_Bo

Comments

• RichCreedyRichCreedy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    do you offer a paid version of the app without ads and fingbox?

AndreaVioletChepilkltaylor
  • AndreaAndrea Member, Beta Tester Posts: 43
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    do you offer a paid version of the app without ads and fingbox?

same question

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Andrea and @RichCreedy we do not currently have this implemented but it is something we're considering. If you get Fingbox you won't see any ads but we are looking for other models too for Fing App users. 

• JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Great incentive to add a fingbox, however would be good if it was an in app purchase to remove ads.
    The app is useful, and so ultimately its expected you need to pay in one way shape of form.  However do NOT add ads to those that have purchased the fingbox, as that would be a kick in the teeth for a £120 purchase!
    Gidster
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    We wont put ads in for Fingbox users @John but Fingbox is now only £99!  https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox (apologies - couldn't miss an opportunity to promote  ;) )
    Head of Product at Fing
    JohnPixelpopperTheCustomCavegfondeur
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    But would the paid app have al the same features as the actual Fingbox?  For example, you don't see Mac addresses of devices unless you have a physical device.
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 130
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    We wont put ads in for Fingbox users @John but Fingbox is now only £99!  https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox (apologies - couldn't miss an opportunity to promote  ;) )
    I am sure that the price reduction will be welcome to many, however for some that is a lot of money from their budget & also another “black box” in the network.
    Apple’s restrictions on MAC addressing, is a minor inconvenience that can easily be overcome by interrogation of the local router.
    Personally, I would have no problem with paying for the application to support it’s development as it offers all of the functionality that I need.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @John yes exactly that's the idea!
    @Lee_Bo no definitely not. This we are envisioning as a kind of low fee payment just to remove the ads.  

Lee_BoJohn
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pixelpopper yes definitely, the idea is to remove the ads. As per our latest roadmap, we're also planning for some other app installation options like the desktop version but the features are not yet defined/announced etc. https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap#latest 

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    In Fing App 8.2.4 we introduced ads in the free App. Ads help us earn revenue to keep Fing running.

If you get a Fingbox, you won’t see ads.

What do you think of ads?

Let me know your thoughts in the discussion below.
    Almost all developers who offer their app for free have to use ads for revenue.  It's life and it pays the bills.
    I personally have no issues paying a dollar or two to remove ads, if it's an app I use regularly.  And coming from a developer background, ads are a necessary evil.
    VioletChepilTheCustomCavegfondeur
  • White1234White1234 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I don't find the ads to be a problem.
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    @Gidster hehe... very true... don't rub it in :)
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    @Gidster hehe... very true... don't rub it in :)
    ruel
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As a user who is already invested in Domotz, the Fing app would be something to keep in the proverbial toolbox of admins.  Ads are a necessary 'evil' that I completely understand and accept, however, there are ways to combat that outside of owning a FingBox, which would be redundant and unnecessary.
    Most everyone today uses some sort of ad blocker, which ultimately defeats a revenue stream for companies.  However, offering a means and method of supporting the company through a one-time purchase, or even a monthly subscription (say $1.99/mo), that literally benefits everyone.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • jw_nedjw_ned Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Founder
    ✭✭
    i was already using the app before the box came out. So I think the following choices would be a diversed business model:
    1. app + box
    2. paid app
    3. free app + adds
    Regards, Jacco
    adam
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @jw_ned thanks for this feedback! This is what we are thinking. Though we have not launched anything yet. Surely community will be first to know of any evolution on this. 

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @kltaylor this is the lines of what we are thinking so far! 

• jw_nedjw_ned Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Founder
    ✭✭
    @jw_ned thanks for this feedback! This is what we are thinking. Though we have not launched anything yet. Surely community will be first to know of any evolution on this. 

I think most of us in the community are already on level 1  :)
    Regards, Jacco
    VioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apple pretty much forced me to get a fingbox when they started blocking the ability to see MAC addresses on iOS. That said, I'm really glad I got one now so, not seeing ads on the app really is just they cherry on the cake for me.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    gfondeur
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @kltaylor this is the lines of what we are thinking so far! 

That's good to know, I would be completely on-board with that.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • jvaneenwykjvaneenwyk Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Great app but as others have said, please offer an in-app purchase option to remove ads. I'm sure Fingbox is great but I'd rather use Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG) in my setup, and I can't stand ads :) Thanks for being flexible on this!
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great app but as others have said, please offer an in-app purchase option to remove ads. I'm sure Fingbox is great but I'd rather use Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG) in my setup, and I can't stand ads :) Thanks for being flexible on this!
    Yes! I believe we're working on something and I'll share any update as soon as I get the news. 

gfondeur
  • AKWillowsAKWillows Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Absolutely agree with other users comments for three tiers: (1) free with ads (2) small fee with no ads (3) Fingbox and no ads. For those that don’t have a Fingbox , I would HIGHLY recommend it! The speed tests and the ability to know when things drop offline, or the network/power goes down is just brilliant!
    VioletChepil