Belkin router password issue

W_T_FW_T_F On EarthMember Posts: 33
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic

I have 2 connections on my Belkin router. Belkin.de4 & Belkin.de4.5GHz. I changed the password correctly and I also hid the SSID on Belkin.de.45GHz. When I tried to manage my router it won't accept the new password or the old one! I'm totally lost! As a matter of fact I actually was connected to the Belkin.de4 and found the hidden one (Belkin.de4.5GHz) and logged on just fine. I went back here to continue my conundrum and it automatically switched to Belkin.de4! Then I went back to wifi connections to reconnect with Belkin.de4.5GHz and it's nowhere to be found! Am I crazy or is someone messing with me? Both connections are on auto connect which has been that way the whole time.

The only two things I changed in my router was the password and I hid Belkin.de4.5GHz only.

What did I do wrong?

Best Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 800
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Accepted Answer

Hiding an SSID isn't really secure, I have Cox as well but I'm not using their equipment.

If you have an Android phone you can install this application and you should be able to see your hidden SSID by signal strength.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

W_T_F
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

The password to login to the router and the WiFi password isn't the same as during initial setup the panoramic gateway makes you change it, at least I believe it does. It's been some time since I used their hardware.

If you can't login you may have to factory reset the Cox gateway.

You can ignore that Samsung 9+ likely, Fing isn't perfect at recognizing devices and it's likely your S9 (non-plus). Samsung devices use Murata as their wireless.

Ciaran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Look at the MAC address of the S9 and what MAC address is showing in Fing for the S9+

You can find the MAC address on the phone by going to Settings > System > About phone, scroll down and you will see it.

✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Goodnight, I hope you get it figured out so you can have a more worry free experience.

Answers

✭✭✭✭✭

If you hid the SSD your device will still be able to connect to it. If you don't want your device to connect randomly between the two connections you need to delete that one from your phone/PC.

Why were you hiding the SSID?

W_T_F
  • W_T_FW_T_F On EarthMember Posts: 33
    edited March 2020

I actually did connect to the hidden one! What happened was I connected then went to here to finish my question and it automatically changed to the other one. Then I did exactly what I did earlier to connect to the hidden one and it cannot be found now! See what I mean? Do you think the 4.5GHz is offline for some reason? I haven't checked that because it is in a very inconvenient place. I have to get the step ladder out to reach it! (Thanks Cox!)

If you can think of anything, please let me know! I appreciate your time on this!

Thank you! Oh by the way. I hid it for security. There's a person who uses drugs and has a bad habit of hacking into people's networks. I wanted to keep him from interfering with my network.

To be continued......

edited March 2020

Thanks! Apparently the 4.5GHz is intermittent with the signal. I was able to locate and login. I just can't login to manage the router! So I can undo hiding 4.5GHz!

Here's the issues that could be the problem.

#1 this router has on)y had 3 passwords (the original*way too easy & was like this for several years) - (the updated one *was too easy to hack) - (the new one I just put in the router management/admin pw) ........ The problem is none of those passwords are correct according to the the area where you click on "manage router". Although the new password works to connect devices to the wifi. Why doesn't it work to make changes ie: "manage router" like it used to? I feel like I'm missing something! I even tried logging in leaving the area blank and still I get "incorrect password" wth?

I just discovered that when I changed the password a device I dont recognize was a Samsung 9+ and named Murata Manufacturing Ltd. Under MAC ADDRESS it said MAC VENDOR - Murata Manufacturing Ltd.

The only devices that should be connected are my Samsung Note9 & a Samsung Galaxy 9 (Not a +). Plus it shows both signals of the Belkin router.

Is this an issue? If so, how do I fix it?

Bless you for putting up with me!

Ok. That's what I thought about the Murata Manufacturing. The thing is Murata Manufacturing can't connect because I changed the password?

Is Fing unreliable? Because the other Samsung Galaxy 9 is recognized as "generic" so I don't think it was the Murata Manufacturing coming from the 9.(not+) unless it's wish washy with naming devices. Idk.

I'm completely lost at this point! Is it a regular occurrence that is identifies devices differently each time they connect? If so, that's an issue!

Thanks so much!

Sorry for all the questions!

If I factory reset Cox gateway will it confuse me more? What should I expect if I do reset?

By the way, I only used one password so idk how it would be different. All I know is when I go to manage router, instead of leaving the login blank it keeps saying incorrect password. I know for a fact I only put one password on it.

I wonder if it automatically adds an additional digit to the end to separate? Idk. I'm going to take a nap! My brain is tired!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

I will do what you advised and let you know how it goes.

It will be a while because I really am taking a nap!

Thanks again!

Update! I really am nuts! Lol

I tried the wifi password except for the last 4 digits and got logged in. Either I'm nuts or the router decided to not accept the last 4 digits.

Either way, I'm back in control! So to speak! Lol

rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad to hear you got logged back in, hopefully you won't run into this issue again.

CiaranW_T_F

Thanks! I still don't have a clue about the Samsung Galaxy 9+ as we don't have one here. And I would have assumed it would show up again once I logged in all the known devices here and it still isn't showing up anymore. Idk! Maybe it was an intruder and I shooed them out! L

Not going to worry about it!

Thanks again for your help!

Take care and see ya next round!

Ciaran

Indeed I checked mine ( it's not me)but the old man is sleeping so I'll have to wait until tomorrow so I don't wake him up. Besides I don't mess with his phone unless he's right there and awake, of course!

I'll let you know tomorrow some time!

Thanks for reminding me of that! Its the only thing I didn't do! Lol

Gnight!

I found the culprit! Right under my nose!

Now I can blame it all on my old man! Ha ha!

I can relax now! All I ever wanted was to update the wifi pw to something less hackable! Lol, mission accomplished!

Happy St. Patrick's day!

rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well.

W_T_F