Why does my Fingbox show a hardwired item with a WiFi field strenght???

AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭
Folks....MY NAS unit shows up in the Fingbox app on my phone with a WiFi Signal of 89% ???
This unit is hardwired and has no Wi-Fi connection and never had.
Same happens with my APC UPS which is also hardwired...same 89% Field Strength. As Far as I remember this has been happening from day one... and while it does not bother me... I am just curious as to WHY this happens?
Strangely enough.... my HP Printer, also hardwired does not show this and displays properly as hardwired.
As my Mum used to say:  Isn't life full of little mysteries ? Suggestions to this mystery gratefully accepted. Perhaps the CIA /Homeland Security or MI6 installed a spy WiFi in the units  while I was in hospital years ago ? If so... they will lead a dull and boring life !!!!!!!!!!!
Albert

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,081
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Hi All,

The wifi strength showing on the Fing App is related to Digital Fence feature for the devices which has wifi capabilities. It is not the wifi strength for the device but the signal stregth for the device with Fingbox. For more information on Digital Fence, please refer: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/digitalfence-feature/ 

The digital fence shows not only roaming Wi-Fi devices but also neighbors wired devices that are transmitting to Wi-Fi devices. 

In other words: if your wired device (A) needs to talk to a wireless device (C) through wireless device (B), the Fingbox passive monitoring can see that interaction taking place as (A)->(C) in the wireless packet headers and enlist (A) as seen a device of the Digital Fence.  

Fingbox monitors all channels, and if some special wireless activity (A)->(C) is observed, it can also know for sure that (A) is wireless. Until those special activities are observed, though, Fingbox cannot tell for sure whether (A) it’s wireless or not, and in order to provide a comprehensive list in the Digital Fence, it must show (A) in the list. 

This is why, on some network setups, a wired device appears in the list among wireless ones. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Albert

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,300
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Albert , for fun I went on mine and checked on my NAS which is decidedly only hardwired with no wireless capabilities and behold;  I see the same thing.  @Robin , is this by design for hardwired pieces?  Note this is hooked directly into my main router, not one of the mesh nodes.  

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Albert
  • AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Marc, TKS... same here... NO mesh, units are directly hardwired to the router.  @Ciaran  ,perhaps, in good time, Marco and colleagues can let us know why this happens ? It is an ultra low priority item... like #99 on the fix list.
    Albert