Fing only recognizes two devices when I have 3 devices on the network, why is the 3rd missing?

TomJTomJ Member Posts: 9
First Comment Photogenic
Fing, I just downloaded the app and it finds two devices perfectly but the 3rd device on the network is nowhere to be found.  It is a security camera with 87% connectivity strength but this device does not show up on Fing, why is it missing?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,153
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TomJ, welcome to the forums...  Are you using the desktop or mobile version of the Fing App?  Is the camera on the same network as the device you have Fing installed on?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • SpoonsSpoons macclesfield, ukMember Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment

I have similar issue. Have a TP-Link Deco network (in router mode) with multiple repeaters and both main & guest networks (different names). Multiple devices (including cameras, mobiles, streaming sticks, Xbox) connected to both networks (all on same subnet) and all show up in Fing mobile app except 1 device (an Audio Pro speaker which I added to the network late Jan 2020). All devices visible in the Deco app (my router).

Any idea why it's not showing up?

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,153
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spoons, would it be possible for you to remove then re-add the speaker back onto the network to see if that help in recognition?  Also just to be sure, when you go to the router app, it is seeing and reporting on the speaker properly?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Photogenic First Comment

Hi, yes I can try forgetting and re-adding the speaker but will be later next week.

My router sees and reports on the speaker correctly.

Thanks

Steve

• Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Fingbox > Fing Desktop > Fing app mobile
    Fing app mobile is the most limited, because it leverages best effort network discovery, by e.g. reading ARP cache and such. It's not always 100% accurate and because both iOS and Android start to hide MAC addresses, the device recognition suffers.
    Fing Desktop and Fingbox provide the best accuracy in terms of network discovery: they do leverage ARP level network scanning, so the precision is nearly flawless. The recognition as well is the best, as they both can use all available network protocols to enrich the discovered devices data.
    Fingbox is better than Fing Desktop because it's 24/7, always running. So it keeps monitoring the network at all times, able to detect all devices, even the ones that stay for a limited amount of time in the network.

Carlo from Fing

• TomJTomJ Member Posts: 9
    First Comment Photogenic
    I am using the mobile app and all devices are on the same network.
    I will try the desktop version and get back to you
    Photogenic First Comment

Have tried resetting and re-adding my Audio-Pro speaker. Still doesn't show up in the Fing App. Note I have a FingBox connected to the same network - unable to see my speaker.

Also tried setting my router to only broadcast 2.4ghz WiFi. Still unable to see the speaker.

Shows up fine in my router app with correct MAC address and IP in expected range (same subnet as all other devices including FingBox)

Don't have a PC at this address so can't try with that.

My phone is running Android 9 and latest version of Fing App.

Anything else I should try?

First Comment Photogenic
    Support:  I have downloaded the Desktop version of Fing and Find still does not recognize additional devices on the wireless network.  There are multiple devices but Fing only recognizes the router node and the node there the FIng app resides.  Note, now the Fing mobile app does not recognize the router node.  Fing 1.0 Version desktop and Fing 8.8.2 mobile android app.  The desktop app is much more robust but discovery needs fixing.  Any suggestions?
    First Comment Photogenic
    Support:  One other comment, when I run arp -a in the command line in Windows 10.  arp -a shows a network connection that FIng is missing.  The most important issue with arp -a is the mac address is ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff which is concerning since the mac address is masked which means an unauthorized device is connected to my network but Fing doesn't show it.  
  • ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 163
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    The MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is a broadcast addresshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address. It is a "special" MAC address, used for sending a "message" to all nodes (devices) on a network. It is normal to see that, when running an arp -a command, but something Fing wouldn't show, as it doesn't identify a specific device.
    First Comment Photogenic
    Team:
    OK, I figured that out by googling the MAC address.
    The question about not finding other devices on the same network is still open.
    Any reasons why Fing cannot discover all of the devices on the network?

First Comment Photogenic
    Hello, I still don't have an answer why Fing does not discover all devices, only the router and device that has Fing on it.get discovered

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,092
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Do you have all of the permissions granted for the Fing app to operate correctly? For Example, with new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. I would suggest to uninstall, and then re-install the app allowing all permissions. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment

Yes, all permissions ON as they have always been.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,734
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Spoons said:

Yes, all permissions ON as they have always been.

I would like you to make sure all devices are connected to your network on which the Fing App is currently connected to. If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi Robin
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, I set my router to only broadcast 2.4ghz so all devices connecting to same broadcast network but one device remains missing (my Audio Pro wifi speaker). Shows up just fine in my router list of devices with a valid looking MAC and IP addresses. Not had an issue with any other devices - all my IP cameras, FireTV/Chrmoecast sticks, TVs, phones, thermostat and games boxes show up just fine in the router list and via the FingBox/Fing app.
    admin
    Spoons said:
    Hi Robin
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, I set my router to only broadcast 2.4ghz so all devices connecting to same broadcast network but one device remains missing (my Audio Pro wifi speaker). Shows up just fine in my router list of devices with a valid looking MAC and IP addresses. Not had an issue with any other devices - all my IP cameras, FireTV/Chrmoecast sticks, TVs, phones, thermostat and games boxes show up just fine in the router list and via the FingBox/Fing app.
    Can you check with the IP address of the speaker if that IP address is listed in the Fing App or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment

No, neither device nor IP Address listed.

admin
    Spoons said:

No, neither device nor IP Address listed.

Can you check the router device under Fing App if the router is reserving multiple IP address, out of which one is of the speaker?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)