Gateway Change

EliteharbingerEliteharbinger Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
Today, I had an alert of a device change for the gateway. what was weird is that on the fing app it referred to the new device as the same name as the current gateway e.g. UnifiUSGPro and the same IP.  I have seen detected gateway changes before but the device name and ip is different.

Whilst am having this issue to sort out, the fing app only currently seems under the network tab to give you the option to 'Trust' the change/device and not 'Deny'.
Is there a way around this or am i missing something in how i can deny the change,

Answers

• Alan7777Alan7777 Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I reboot my main router and APs once a month in case there is memory corruption. It always reports a gateway change on reboot. The MAC is the same, so I know it is not a problem. I ignore the warning or Trust it. I suspect Deny would disconnect me from the internet, but have never tried that.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,734
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All,

A gateway is a device that routes traffic between two separate networks. The best example of a gateway within your home network is your router. This acts as a gateway between your own personal network and your broadband provider’s network.  
    So when you receive an alert from your Fingbox that a new gateway has appeared on your network it means that a device has become a gateway. This could be something usual (e.g. some triband routers have an interchangeable pool of addresses that change a lot), or could be coming from a device which redirects everything to itself (e.g. a hardware firewall), or could be a device that has been attached to your network that you weren’t aware is redirecting all the data.  
    Fingbox will alert you when it notices a new gateway so you can investigate if it is coming from a trusted or malicious source.  

When a new device joins a network, then it tends to distribute traffic through itself. If you do not know what the new gateway is, check to see if a new device has recently joined your network – this most likely will be the source of the new gateway. If it is a device you do not recognize then block it straight away. 

We have come to realize that if you have multiple access points and if some devices are connected with both then you might find this gateway change alert. Even if the new device get connected to a different access point and Fingbox is connected to another access point, then Fingbox will detect it as some other access point is redirecting the traffic and thus giving you with an alert. We are trying to make the experience better so User can accept the gateway and then it does not ask again for the same access point. 

I would like you to follow these steps: 

1) Turn off the router/extenders and Fingbox 

2) Wait for a minute or two. 

3) Make the connection of Fingbox with the router directly if not done already. If you are using an extender/switch, then make the connection with it. 

4) Only Turn on the router and then wait for another minute or Two. 

5) Turn on the other network device like Switch/Extenders and then wait for a minute or two. 

6) Turn on the Fingbox and then re-install the Fing App after clearing up the cache as well. 

7) Sign in with the Fing App 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!