FING for Synology NAS?

kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fing App Feature requests
I wish there was an application to install on the Synology NAS that would connect your network to FING and help monitor both LAN/WAN/WiFi in real-time.
Would anyone else find that useful?
"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
GidsterVioletChepilPoohzipDCzoro25JohnDCrypt3rmacinteractfuzzyhansBen_HianzzzIsaacLuixDarrenHill
12 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @kltaylor it's something we've been thinking about. Our sister company Domotoz has an Synology app: https://www.domotz.com/knowledge-base/installation-guide/synology.php
    Head of Product at Fing
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I currently use Domotz not only on my home network but also at work covering our restaurant locations.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just moved this one over to the Fing App section. I think we've thought about this in the past. In the medium term we're working on some other deployments like PC. Have a look here at the roadmap:  https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap#latest 
    Synology NAS could definitely make sense and perhaps after the PC launch we can explore more. 

Community Manager at Fing

• JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭

+1 for this. Sell the app without the hardware and deploy via docker on Synology. One less box would be fantastic.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    John said:

+1 for this. Sell the app without the hardware and deploy via docker on Synology. One less box would be fantastic.

The only problem with that though is Synology is removing Docker soon.  I received a message about it if I find it I will post it here for reference.  I think an installable app would be ideal, especially if it could have a visual reference, maybe even in real-time, of the network connections, data flow, etc.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Docker DSM will reach its end-of-life stage on December 31, 2019.

Starting on August 12, 2019, license activation for Docker DSM License will no longer be available. If
    you have any Docker DSM Licenses that are yet to be activated, please do so before this date. Docker DSM has one year validity upon activation.

This change will not bring any change to activated Docker DSMs. If you are already running a Docker DSM, you can check its expiry date in Docker. Detailed info is available in Docker > DSM > License.

We encourage those who are looking for a similar alternative to switch to Virtual DSM. This is a solution that runs on Virtual Machine Manager. For more information on Virtual DSM, please refer to this page. If you have any question about how to switch from Docker DSM to Virtual DSM, please contact Synology Support Team for assistance.

✭✭✭
    @kltaylor that article is referring to DSM on docker, and not docker on DSM.  i.e. running DSM as a virtual appliance on docker.  So support will still exist for running docker containers on a synology NAS  ;)
    ✭✭✭
    Worth noting to install the DSM on docker now if you want the license.  I have just done it but will probably never use!
    kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that I misread that, Docker is running Nagios on my server so was nervous about losing that.
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    kltaylor said:
    I'm glad that I misread that, Docker is running Nagios on my server so was nervous about losing that.
    What's the performance like running Docker? I've been pondering doing this myself (just for shiggles more than owt else), but I'm not sure if my DS2415+ with it's Atom CPU would be much cop. Pretty sure I need to expand the memory on it as well..
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    kltaylor said:
    What's the performance like running Docker? I've been pondering doing this myself (just for shiggles more than owt else), but I'm not sure if my DS2415+ with it's Atom CPU would be much cop. Pretty sure I need to expand the memory on it as well..

I would definitely expand the RAM for sure.  On my 1019+ even though the specs show only 8 Gigs of RAM for the device, I was able to upgrade it to 16 just for preparation to run VM's.
    Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    I would definitely expand the RAM for sure.  On my 1019+ even though the specs show only 8 Gigs of RAM for the device, I was able to upgrade it to 16 just for preparation to run VM's.
    Sounds like as long as I rip out the existing 2GB the 2415+ comes with that I can expand my to 16GB as well. Rats - just allocated $1200 for some new drives - now I need to add RAM as well :)
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    kltaylor said:
    Sounds like as long as I rip out the existing 2GB the 2415+ comes with that I can expand my to 16GB as well. Rats - just allocated $1200 for some new drives - now I need to add RAM as well :)
    Just ensure that the model of RAM is the same when you expand.  There may be a limitation to only achieve an upgrade of 8 Gigs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    kltaylor said:
    "2GB of DDR3 RAM (expandable to 6GB) "

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, in the comments section on Amazon there is a post about upgrading to 16Gigs and how to do it.

Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    Interesting, in the comments section on Amazon there is a post about upgrading to 16Gigs and how to do it.

That's exactly the same review I saw earlier before I posted! Snap!
    kltaylor
  • AndreaAndrea Member, Beta Tester Posts: 43
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    There is any plan to deploy FING BOX or FING APP for Synology SRM
    there are already some addon you can install on some router

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh yes, I'm very familiar with this. We don't have plans yet. First plan is Fing app for PC/MAC.https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap
    Once we get those launched we could also look at other options too, I will add this thread to feature requests. 
    https://community.fing.com/categories/feature-requests
    We may already have this request and I could merge them together instead.
    Thank you! 

• AndreaAndrea Member, Beta Tester Posts: 43
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    i have seen a request for Synology NAS but i'm not sure they use the same OS.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've turned this into an ideation thread, so others can upvote if they are interested. 

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've merged all the Synology request together and I'm also turning this one into an ideation thread so you can upvote if you are interested in this! 

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Upvote! =)
  • Anilv26Anilv26 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

Before Fing I used Domotz on my Synology, works perfectly.

Is there any big difference between Domotz and Fing?

Avaya voice consultant by profession

There is never a wrong or stupid question!

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great @Anilv26! Yes this is a good idea. I guess first step is PC/MAC and see user uptake and then hopefully we can look at other platforms too. Do you think you'll try Fing App on PC/MAC?

• Anilv26Anilv26 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

Yes I will, on my company laptop to test en see how it works. But to be honest I do a lot if not everything on my mobile. Simply because it is always there with me. And the best way to receive alerts because of that.

In my humble opinion I think a PC/MAC application is beneficial if there more functions and much better overview, as of course a PC has a bigger screen.

I am very curious and very happy to be a early adopterof the PC app. I would say let the beta version come.

Avaya voice consultant by profession

There is never a wrong or stupid question!

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Anilv26 it'll be coming very soon! We're so excited. 

• RainCasterRainCaster My deskMember, Beta Tester Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭

I have an AsusStor NAS box, that also runs on Linux like the Synology does. I could test it for your devs when you have something close to done.