FiING DESKTOP IDEA: Dismiss a warning option

2»

Comments

• Roland85Roland85 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Failure case: Facebook cannot be reached

Why doess Fing desktop want to test Facebook connectivity? In our network we have blocked Facebook in DNS, so I understand why I'm getting this error, but don't understand why Fing is checking it.

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 871
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of the most commonly accessed services worldwide so it's a good target for testing connectivity.

• xjonxxjonx Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    How do you acknowledge warning in the fing windows program. I have a warning I understand and don't want it to appear any more.
  • Roland85Roland85 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Can the check be somehow disabled, as this error will continue as long as it is on. Or could there be a way to acknowledge error, so I would not get a notification any more about it?
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 871
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't currently know of a way, let's ask @Robin who will know more about this.
  • SimonchSimonch Member Posts: 5
    I keep getting DHCP is not healthy warning. All my devices connect without any problem and the router shows DHCP is on. Network is performing normally. Clearly Fing have some kind of bug in their system. Power recycling resolves the issue for a period of time but sooner or later the warning returns. I'm running a BT Homehub 6 in a standard out of the box domestic setup, no guest network. Basically, I just ignore the warning as I assume it is a false alarm and a fix will be found soon.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,391
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Simonch
    Can you check if you have set up the network context based on your network? With the wrong network context selected, Fing Desktop will run a different set of scans. You can check the network context from the connectivity tab and then run a scan for devices and then you will be able to edit the network context.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Hi Robin, I've checked the context and it is set to Home, which I assume is correct.
    Thanks, Simon
    For info, the latest scan shows everything as healthy, Simon
    Robin
    admin
    Hi @xjonx
    Thanks for your post. As of now, there is no way to dismiss a warning but we are working on a model related to warnings. As soon as there is an update we will notify all users.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Roland85 said:
    Can the check be somehow disabled, as this error will continue as long as it is on. Or could there be a way to acknowledge error, so I would not get a notification any more about it?
    Thanks for the idea. We are already working on a model for the warnings and as soon as there is an update, all our users will be notified.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    edited March 2020
    This is interesting, make of it what you will. Seems a bit intermittent? Every other scan. Simon

admin
    Hi @Simonch
    We are compiling the feedback for warning dismissal. I will include your feedback for our developers as well. As soon as there is an update for this, we will let all the users know. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)

Thanks Robin.

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thank you all for you suggestions. You have all recommended the idea of dismissing a notification option (for various reasons). I have merged all of these posts into one thread and turned it into an 'Idea'. Our Engineering team are actively reviewing this option. Thanks again and have a nice weekend.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• PotskiPotski Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Here's my report showing the false DHCP warning.
    https://query.fing.com/DF9166FB171D3980
  • legepelegepe Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    If it happens to any of you, please can you follow instructions I provided in previous post?
    So myself and @Giux_from_Fing will be able to have a look.
    In the meantime: what kind of DHCP server do you have? Is it the factory default of the wireless router or the network has some complexity?
    Hello,

Single router Linksys MR8300v1, connected with PPPoE authentication to my internet provider connection (Skynet, Belgium). For the rest of the house I am using Linksys Velop system for the WIFI. But all of the access points have fixed IP adresses.
    Best regards, Patrick.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi folks, good news. We heard you, took your feedback and now our wonderful Development team have confirmed the work on this feature is almost complete, and it is due to be included on the next release of the Fing Desktop. Thanks again for all of your feedback :smile:
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

Carlo_from_Fing
  • Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Starting with Fing Desktop 1.1.0 you can dismiss a warning by entering in report details (See Report) and then clicking on the '?' button right to the warning you want to mute. In the bottom-right corner you'll find the option to mute it.
    Please note you can mute only warnings, in case of errors, those cannot be muted.

Carlo from Fing

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    The same thing is happening to me.  The report is https://query.fing.com/C209DEC7085F420.   
    I used wireshark & ran a release/renew from my computer...  only one dhcp server responded with an offer.  I'd rather not mute the warning in case there truly is a rogue DHCP server running in my network.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

Regards,
    Dexter

✭✭✭
    The warning is about not having a DHCP at all in that moment.
    The next time it happens can you please try to immediately refresh the healthcheck? There is the refresh button below the title:
    Updates are automatic, but you can also Refresh to force a new check now.

If it's just temporary, we can have @Giux_from_Fing investigate that.
    Worst case you can mute it for that network, exactly.

Carlo from Fing

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Thank you Carlo, the warning continues to show despite forcing a recheck.  
    ✭✭✭
    @Giux_from_Fing please get in touch to ask you more information to debug this.

Carlo from Fing