FiING DESKTOP IDEA: Dismiss a warning option

MalarMalar Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
Photogenic

Dismiss a warning? how can we tell the desktop beta to dismiss warning.  I keep getting one about have set a static IP "it should be DHCP" well i know what I am doing and this device need to have a static ip.  So can I please tell the systems to stop sending me that alart. In the same why in the phone app you can set dont tell me about this device coming online and off.  

Thx
Isarootedrsej62NexxMike_AMikeLeigh
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• kenrobkenrob Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
     How do I dismiss a warning?  The app says "Ethernet link speed is not optimal.  Speed is less than Gigabit: 100.0 Mbps", but on the Connectivity page I see "Local network 100 Mbit Ethernet".  OK, I've seen the warning, decided it's unimportant, and I no longer want to see it...
    MikeLeigh
  • Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks, mutable/dismissable warnings is definitely in our roadmap.

Carlo from Fing

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thank you for the idea @Malar
    I will pass on your feedback to our developers. For all other users who feel this would be beneficial, please click the 'Upvote' button. Thank you
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 873
    500 Comments 100 Awesomes 25 Answers 100 Likes
    admin
    Hi @Malar , thanks for the suggestion. I have turned your post into an idea and moved it to the 'Ideas' section and finally, escalated to our Dev team for consideration. Thanks again

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • n6acn6ac Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
    I use static IPs almost exclusively.
    I DO understand networking.
    On my Mac, your Fing beta application gives me an annoying "error" warning, quoted below –
    I really think that you should back off on that, or permit disabling of that message.
    I believe that static addressing is SAFER, and certainly also makes it easier to connect to my various devices.
    ... Alfred

This is Fing app's current (unwanted) message –
    "Code 002: Device IP address is assigned static
    Failure case: Device IP address is assigned static, not by DHCP
    Local: the check is performed locally on your local device
    Technical definition – The check alerts when the device IP address is assigned statically and not got from DHCP.
    What it means for me – Your (IP) address for your computer in your network is not assigned by your router, but it's manually configured instead. You should avoid this unless you understand networking."
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    Hi @n6ac, welcome to the community.
    Do you have any pool reserved for DHCP designation?
    I understand that you use static IP addresses exclusively, however any net admin (ahem) will advise to have some sort of block set aside for To be honest, static versus DHCP addresses won't necessarily make things 'safer' or 'at more risk'.  When I setup a network I use a specific block of numbers for DHCP and another block for specific devices.  2-5 are normally servers or server-related machines, 20-30 are reserved for printers, etc.
    Also, unless I'm mistaken and the developers have changed something, the app itself will not need nor require an IP address.  It will run on whatever host it's running from.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • n6acn6ac Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
    Yes, we have x.x.x.75 to 97 reserved for DHCP (and several non-static compatible devices do lodge in that range)
    Not sure what you mean about " the app itself will not need nor require an IP address" ??
    kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @n6ac, I want to say that after I installed the Fing App on my desktop rig at home, I also received the same 'warning'.  I don't mind so much about receiving it, but we should at least have the option to ignore the warning.  We should submit this to the beta team and see if that can happen @Ciaran.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @n6ac
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have turned your post into an idea and merged with a similar post with a similar Idea and finally, escalated to our Dev team for consideration. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • 5eleven75eleven7 Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    I have Fing Desktop 1.0.0 and it reports multiple times throughout the day that "Connectivity warning in Guest: DHCP is not healthy." Each time about 15 minutes later it reports "All good in Guest", but I don't know what is causing the problem or the solution. Google searching for answers didn't help and I don't see it mentioned here. Any thoughts from the community?
  • ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 141
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    What (make/model) router are you using on your home network? And, are you connecting to the "guest network", instead of your "regular" wifi? When my router creates the "guest network", it creates a VLAN, along with a virtual MAC address for it. It, also, creates a separate DHCP server, and allows me to only select how many connections it can have, lowest being 5 and max being 50. It will only create it from the 2.5 GHz wifi signal. Could be, maybe, it is set to 5 guests, and a 6th one is trying to connect? Or, maybe your router has a power save mode, and if the guest network isn't being used, it turns it off? Is it possible you have two wifi adapters and one is connected to the "regular" wifi and the other to the "guest"?
  • CarlkCarlk Member Posts: 0
    Hi,
    Long time user of Fing on mobile & excited about the desktop app.
    Is there any way to configure the app to say that "yes, my ethernet speed is 100Mbps" and so stop the incessant warning message. 

Thanks,
    Carlk

• PineappleOnPizzaPineappleOnPizza Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    I don't see any options for it. You can turn off notifications by clicking the Fing version number on the left bar Fing 1.0.0 > Preferences > Don't Show Notifications. Kind of counterproductive, but until that feature is implemented, it might save you from some annoyances.
  • badwolf4561badwolf4561 Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    Any chance Fing Desktop can have an Acknowledge/Dismiss button to the notifications section? It is warning me I have a network netmask that isn't tuned correctly, but it is annoying I cannot dismiss the warning - I deliberately chose a non-standard netmask.
  • legepelegepe Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hello everybody, I just installed the new 1.0 Fing Desktop App. Nice !
    But … always a but !-) … the same App warns me that my "DHCP is not healthy" and that "No DHCP active, devices will have troubles entering the network", naughty DHCP !
    But … my network has DHCP configured (most of my devices use it) and even more the device with I am writing this message has a DHCP connection and all works fine. So, what does this message means ? C'est grave docteur ?
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,633
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @badwolf4561, I turned this into an idea thread so people can upvote.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • cppramxcppramx Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Yes, deletion/archive notifications, warnings, etc with Fing Desktop. Nominate this to top of stack for addressing pls. 
  • ClashingPlaidsClashingPlaids Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    I'm experiencing the same recurring warning message, and I'm not accessing via a guest network (nor does my Zyxel router do anything as elaborate as creating a VLAN for guest networks--wish it did!)  Power-cycling only produces a short respite and then it recurs.  I've looked at my router config and DHCP is definitely enabled.  I;m having other internet connecivity issues I'm trying to resolve with my ISP, so it would be nice to know if this is a false alarm.
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @legepe would you share your connectivity report from 'See report' / 'Share' ?
    Then you generate a shared report and paste here the link, so that Fing team will have a look at details.
    Thanks in advance!

Carlo from Fing

• krisdthompsonkrisdthompson Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Yes, having warnings that cannot be acknowledged means the Green dashboard now has gremlins that cannot be removed so now you need to learn to parse through the un-suppressible warnings to identify the real warnings. Ugh. For example, my Mac is tethered to a 100Mbps VoIP phone. My mac gets's only 100Mbps. I find that quite fast still and over 5x my internet download speed. I am quite happy at 100Mbps, but Fing Desktop keeps the warning up. Please provide the ability to Acknowledge and Dismiss Warnings.
    Screenshot attached. Make the warning go away please. 

• krisdthompsonkrisdthompson Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Trying to upvote this very important (suppress/acknowledge) feature request, but I get this little tiny error in the bottom left corner when I click "upvote".

• PotskiPotski Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    I have this same issue.
    Several reports since installing the app that my network has "No DHCP active, devices will have troubles entering the network".
    My computer has dhcp enabled, i can disconnect and re-connect without issue.
    How is the FING app determining I have this issue ?
    In fact, whilst typing this message, FING has just changed its mind, and determined that everything is fine now.

✭✭✭
    If it happens to any of you, please can you follow instructions I provided in previous post?
    So myself and @Giux_from_Fing will be able to have a look.
    In the meantime: what kind of DHCP server do you have? Is it the factory default of the wireless router or the network has some complexity?

Carlo from Fing

First Comment
    I'm in the UK, using a BT Hub 6A, Firmware version: SG4B1000E01E
    I'm not happy about sharing my report, without being able to review it myself first,and the process for sharing it doesn't suggest I will be able to review it before its shared with the world.
    ✭✭✭
    When you hit share you can decide the privacy level, and what to hide.
    Thanks for this feedback @Potski as we need to state it clearer in the app, as all privacy stuff is there but you though it's not.

Carlo from Fing

First Comment
    I can see the questions relating to what level of information to share, but I can't see exactly what will be shared.
    I don't want to see a description of what will be shared, I want to see exactly what will be shared.
    Will I have the ability to revoke sharing the report if I don't like something I've shared ?
    As the problem (which doesn't exist) isn't currently happening, I have nothing to share, but I'll consider sharing next time it happens.
  • docallaghan0848docallaghan0848 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    Let's take this a step further and allow users to select which tests are made.  For instance, I do not have a facebook account nor do I EVER use that service.  Frankly I don't care that its not reachable.  My notifications fill up with theses service unreachable messages for services I don'y use or care about.  So, yes I would like to dismiss them but I would really like to be able to edit the list of the services monitored.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 873
    500 Comments 100 Awesomes 25 Answers 100 Likes
    admin
    Hi @krisdthompson, yes I have tested this and I am experiencing the same issue. Thanks for flagging. I have checked the category settings and cannot see any issue with them. Hence I have reached out to our Community platform provider for assistance. I will post here again when I have an update. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • legepelegepe Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    More info. Still the message after installed Fing Desktop App 1.0.1.
    The iOS App does not tell any problem with my DHCP.
    - https://query.fing.com/2537A1D6B7415111

Best regards,
    Patrick
    ✭✭✭
    @Giux_from_Fing will have a look, thanks @legepe

Carlo from Fing