Is there a way to view my childs text messages?

WTH420WTH420 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2020 in Devices & Security

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to have someone else (my kid) text messages or any info on her phone so I can keep up with what is going on??

Don't say to just look through her phone because it's not that easy..as she lives with her dad!

Help!!

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 870
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am moving this post to correct section.

Ciaran
  • GeordonGeordon Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Basically, there is no way that you can tell if your kid sends a text message from her phone without either a court order or by inspecting her phone.  It's technically possible with some carriers to log into the carrier website for that line and see the text messages that are sent, but that requires having the phone in hand in order to get the authorization code that is sent as a text message to that phone in order to set up the website logon.

Ciaran
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,179
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @WTH420 I have changed the subject of the post for searchability reasons (in case other users have a similar query/experience)
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • mniederomniedero Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited March 2020
    @WTH420, I advise you to contact a lawyer.
    Before doing this, please read the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) carefully, in particular Article 16 1st & 2nd (https://treaties.un.org/doc/Treaties/1990/ 09/19900902% 2003-14% 20AM / Ch_IV_11p.pdf). These prohibit you from accessing their communication (email, text messages, phone calls, etc.) on your own initiative and without the knowledge or permission of the children. Otherwise, the children/your daughter may - and even should - file a lawsuit against you.

Exception: According to Wikipedia, the USA has not yet signed the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) (https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetails.aspx?src=TREATY&mtdsg_no=IV-11&chapter=4&lang=en).
    Nevertheless, I suggest contacting a lawyer.

• CrowgrandfatherCrowgrandfather Member, Beta Tester Posts: 69
    5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭

I'm not going to tell you how to parent but I will give you some advice as a parent. I'd strongly advise not doing this. Your child will never trust you when they discover you're doing this and you will destroy any further relationship you could have with them.

Albert
  • BossMcMurderBossMcMurder Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment

In today's era there is no expectations of privacy. Period...we allow them to become indoctrinated by the schools we send them because we ourselves are consumed by chasing a salary instead of helping them grasp this reality. be forewarned; in playing God,you may learn things that haunt you for life.

Albert