FING DESKTOP FOR MAC - INSTALL FAILS

Adrius42Adrius42 Member Posts: 3
Photogenic First Comment
Fing Desktop opened and could not contact the Fing Service...
On restarting I got

Needless to say I was not asked for a password.
Having given one during the install.

Just get back to:

Help!? : What to do?

I was looking forwards to trying out the new Desktop App...

Post Submission Note: It seems that moving the App into the Utility Folder BREAKS it!!!

Sadly the peoples of the world are leaking cyber agency faster than they know it!
Tagged:

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Adrius42

First I would like you to make sure that you are installing the Fing Desktop under the Applications folder only otherwise Fing Desktop won't be able to connect to its services. Currently, this is the limitation of Fing Desktop that it needs to be installed under the Application folder else the name will appear as 'Unidentified' or ‘Undefined. 

Also, In this case, the service might have been disabled and cannot launch until the service is re-enabled. This is likely the result of the service having been unloaded using launchctl in conjunction with the -w switch, which will disable the service. This condition can remain even if the software is uninstalled and reinstalled. 

Solution 

Re-enable the disabled service using the following commands: 

sudo launchctl load -w  /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist 

Please let me know if anything changes

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Adrius42Adrius42 Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    As I am sure you understand this is a BUG! It should be quite normal to be able to place such Utilities into the Utility Folder I have it working now, but I achieved this with a fresh install, for I could not trust your apps ability to be moved back into the APP FOLDER. No idea how best to uninstall the Appin the Utility folder. It appears you sprinkle stuff all over the show! Cleaner instal and uninstall process please.
    Sadly the peoples of the world are leaking cyber agency faster than they know it!
    admin
    Hi @Adrius42
    Thanks for your feedback. To uninstall the app from other folder, 
    1. Go to the Finder in OS X if you haven't done so already.
    2. Navigate to /Utility folder and select the app you want to uninstall.
    3. Either drag the application icon to the Trash, or right-click and select “Move to Trash”
    This will uninstall the Fing Desktop app.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • mvelasquezmmvelasquezm ColombiaMember, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Is there a way to install Fing for Mac correctly? By correctly means that I don´t have to do walk arounds or complex detours. Version 1.0.1 gets stuck and when I uninstall and install again get the following message:

VABelle
    admin
    Hi @mvelasquezm

In order to address your query, first I would like to confirm that you are:

• Installing the Fing Desktop under the 'Applications' folder only. If not, Fing Desktop won't be able to connect to its services. If it is not, it will appear as 'Unidentified' or ‘Undefined.
    • In this case, the service might have been disabled and cannot launch until the service is re-enabled. This is likely the result of the service having been unloaded using 'launchctl' in conjunction with the -w switch. This will disable the service. This condition can remain, even if the software is uninstalled and reinstalled.

To resolve:

Re-enable the disabled service using the following commands:

• sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 59
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    @mvelasquezm  Did you ever get it to work? I have a MacBook Pro and am experiencing the identical problem. I'm ready to rip my hair out. The program is in the Applications folder.
    I ran the sudo command and got this message back: 
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist: No such file or directory [email protected] ~ % 
  • VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 59
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    @mvelasquezm  Did you ever get it to work? I have a MacBook Pro and am experiencing the identical problem. I'm ready to rip my hair out. The program is in the Applications folder.
    I ran the sudo command and got this message back: 
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist: No such file or directory [email protected] ~ %