Syncing device details across all logins

ShockedPantsShockedPants Member Posts: 1
Photogenic
I've used the Fing app for used, was an early adopter of the Fingbox and now I've got the desktop app too.
Even though I've logged in with the same user details as I use on the Fingbox, I've noticed that none of the devices discovered carry the details I've entered through the Android app. For example, a device that comes up as generic I can identify through the IP and MAC address and give the device a name and allocate to a user. My question is, should this happen automatically if I'm using the same account across all devices and apps?

I've got a relatively large and complicated network, running a 192.168.x.x/16 network and containing over 150 devices (all hail IoT!!). My router allocates IP addresses by MAC binding, so I can group devices into subnets, but also has an IP range for DHCP allocation for new devices. This way, when a new device notification comes through, I can see from the IP address it has been allocated if it really is a new device, or an old one that Fing seems to have forgotten about. And that's happened a lot recently, I think since the new year I've had to re-label more than half of my devices (and this was before Android 10 rolled out on any of our devices, in fact most of the relabelled ones aren't even Android devices) which I find out assuming that my device details are stored in a database somewhere, either locally or online?

Best Answer

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,135
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @ShockedPants, the Desktop app and the Mobile/web app are two different products covering slighty different use cases.   Because of this details do not sync up between them.

Here is a link from Fing that discusses its use cases and philosophy behind the products. Snippet below...

The main function of the Fing Desktop is to help troubleshoot your network in a more powered and accurate way than the current mobile App, offering better troubleshooting tools & functionalities to help achieve this.
    We are essentially trying to develop a Fing ecosystem, where the same account allows to keep on building and choosing the most suitable tool for you and your needs.
    From a technological standpoint, in comparison to other Fing products, it can be considered:
    Fing Mobile < Fing Desktop < Fing Box.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Ciaran