Pausing the internet

Matt1976Matt1976 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
Photogenic
Hi, I use an Netgear R9000 running WW-DRT firmware. I have tried disabling ARP Spoofing Protection and even the firewall altogether but can't pause the internet on devices such as iPads. I can however block them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Matt1976
    Welcome to the Fing Community and thanks for your question! 
    Just to check - sometimes things can be pre-loaded (like a YouTube video) and then they can still be used when paused. 

I'll try and help you solve this. Have a look below at the following steps. 

Confirm access:
    - Anti ARP is disabled (as you have said you've done this)
    - Firewall is not blocking connection (also confirmed)
    - IPv6 is disabled (has this been done?)
    - Required ports allow for comms: make sure to allow Fingbox to reach any IP address on the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 4443, 5671.

In addition, the ports needed for the Internet Speed Test, provided by M-Lab include 3001, 3002, 3003.

Check time settings:
    Since blocking is working - perhaps the pause could be related to the location settings. Can you visit your location settings here and make sure that it is correct time and date for you? 
    https://app.fing.com/app#user:settings

Location permissions:
    Do you have all the new required location permissions enabled for Fing App required for iOS 13 and Android 10? For best performance these should be set to ALWAYS in location permissions. 

If you are unable to see the location permissions for the Fing App under phone settings then follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.
    1) Open Fing App and go to ‘Network’ tab
    2) Click on the ISP tab and it will open the Network page
    3) Clear out the Network information such as Address.
    4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

If you can let me know on the above and we can go from there!
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Matt1976
    Can you please confirm if the internet pause is not working for some devices or all devices?

Applications, such as Youtube, will often download packets of data in advance so as to make the use of them smoother. You will see this on Youtube in the bar along the bottom of the video. The line in red indicates how far through the video you are, but you will also see a grey line further ahead of the red – this grey line shows you where the application is in downloading the data. As this data has already reached your device and does not require the Internet to watch,  when the Internet is paused Youtube will continue to play the video until the red line catches up with the grey line. When it catches this up the video will stop working as Youtube is unable to access the Internet to download more data.

This catch-up process can sometimes take a minute or so, so if you want to know immediately if an Internet Pause has worked try refreshing or opening a new screen.

If you still have access to the Internet at this point it could then be one of 3 things that are preventing the block from working.
    • IPv6 – this is a method of communication that some devices use when IPv4 is blocked. Unfortunately, Fingbox cannot block IPv6 communications. If you feel comfortable, and if your router allows it, you can disable IPv6 within your router settings. All devices communicate on IPv4 so it should not impact the average user’s network performance.
    • Incompatible Router – Fingbox pauses Internet using a technique called ARP spoofing. Some routers contain software designed to block ARP spoofing, so prevent Fingbox performing this feature. Check our list of routers that are incompatible with Fingbox here.
    • Firewalls – Fingbox generally plays very well with firewalls, but like with the routers, there may be some software in the firewall that clashes with the Fingbox software.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MikeFingMikeFing Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic
    I am having a similar problem -but with one specific Apple device.

I have been a happy Fing Box user for nearly 2 years within my (UK) household supporting numerous iPhones, iPad's, iPod's, Apple and other SmartTV's, Streaming TV sticks, etc.  I make use of the Pause internet access feature via a schedule to prevent my children's using their SmartTV's and tablet devices when applicable (bed time and homework time specifically).  This has always worked well. However, my daughter recently got a new Apple iPad Air (gen 3) tablet and it has proven impossible to Pause this device. It is not a case off there being a delay, it will not Pause and is still able to access the internet more than an hour after a Pause has been issued.

To block this device from accessing the internet I have to manually make use of the Block access feature (which can't be scheduled).  All other devices in the household, including 2 x Apple iPad Pro tablets all Pause OK.  It is specifically the iPad Air which will not Pause. All are on the latest iOS release, using the same WiFi, etc.  Unfortunately I do not have access to another iPad Air to test.  

Is anyone aware of a problem with Pausing internet access via the Fing Box for Apple iPad Air's  (Gen 3, model MUUL2B) ?

Thanks.