Ring Pro Killing WiFi?

dhparker
dhparker Member Posts: 7
Second Anniversary Founder Name Dropper First Comment
✭✭
edited August 19, 2019 in Devices & Security #1
Greetings...I have a Ring Pro doorbell cam at my front door.  In order for it to receive an acceptable signal, I had to add a Ring Chime Pro between my router and the Ring Pro.  Whenever I Live View the Ring Pro or when someone rings the bell, all wireless devices in the house come to a screeching halt for 15 - 20 seconds.  Has anyone else experienced this?  For additional context, I have a Ring Light cam that is not on the Ring Chime Pro network, and it has no perceived affect on the wifi.
GidsterVioletChepilMcGruff

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheCustomCave @adam @Pooh - any help you could add in for @dhparker

Community Manager at Fing

TheCustomCave
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dhparker - where you you located? I ask because there used to be (may still be) an oddity with this device in the way it handled channel 12 on the 2.4Ghz band. Different countries have different channel allocations, hence my question...

@VioletChepil - done!
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    TheCustomCaveVioletChepil
  • Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 272
    100 Comments 100 Likes Second Anniversary 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, that is your ISP speed?  That may be an issue.
    VioletChepil
  • adam
    adam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 63
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have wired devices?  It would be good to clarify if this is a wifi only issue or not so if you haven't tried maybe plug a cat5 cable directly between your ISP router and a computer.    Then when the doorbell view opens and this issue occurs check the internet on the wired device at that moment to see if also slow.   

If it's just a wifi issue, definitely scan your house for the best wifi channel using a wifi scanning tool (plenty available on android probably iOS too?).   Then update the channel that is active on your access point/router.
    McGruffVioletChepil
  • dhparker
    ✭✭

Wired devices are not affected. My internet speed measures directly from the modem 394/22. Wireless is 67/14 in the area of the Ring Pro, measured by the speedtest.net app on my phone. My 2.4 ghz is on channel 5 to avoid interference from neighbors.

VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dhparker said:

Wired devices are not affected. My internet speed measures directly from the modem 394/22. Wireless is 67/14 in the area of the Ring Pro, measured by the speedtest.net app on my phone. My 2.4 ghz is on channel 5 to avoid interference from neighbors.

If you're on 5, then that eliminates the channel 12 issue. Rats
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • dhparker
    ✭✭

@Murray do you have any ideas on my situation?

VioletChepil
  • TheCustomCave
    TheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    My first port of call for this would be as @Pooh suggested, checking the channel that both the router and the Ring are using.

As you've already confirmed the router is on channel 5, my next thought would be to test and see if it's just limited to the 2.4GHz spectrum - if you can test with some devices on 5GHz then we can see if it's the wifi radio being overpowered at the router end, of if there's maybe something else amiss. 

I'm not completely familiar with Ring, does it connect to your main wifi, or does it use its own wifi system?
    If it's on your network then it's possible it's just flooding the bandwidth. If it's using its own network then it may be on an overlapping channel that's just flooding the spectrum close enough to your wifi channel to cause interference.
    VioletChepil
  • Murray
    Murray Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019 #10
    dhparker said:

@Murray do you have any ideas on my situation?

@dhparker your issue does seem odd... the use of a Chime Pro extender should not really drag the base network wifi down. The Chime Pro will set up a 2.4GHz  SSID that is separate from your home SSIDs and end to end it is only going to use 2Mbps max upload when the Ring Pro doorbell to active. It maybe that the Chime Pro is flooding the home SSID but that would be a fault (it’s connection with your home wifi).
    Do you have the same network issue when you Liveview i.e. you initiate the connection? And how is the Livefeed and resultant stored video? it’s worth testing with your phone/tablet on WiFi only (mobile data off) and again with just mobile data (WiFi off).
    VioletChepil
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,079
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could the Ring Pros radio be defective? Only way to tell would be to get another running and compare results to see but it could be a bad piece of kit causing this. Also one thing I didn’t see is whether this was like this from day one or whether it happened after having the doorbell for awhile.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil